Backup/Trailer Camera for <$60

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MotoCARR

Reaction score
I've moved THIS 7" generic monitor around my garage for long enough, so I decided to cure my boredom last Saturday by spending a little coin on a Boyo VTK350 backup camera:cool:.

This is going to be more of a Cliffnotes version on my '95 Tahoe, but the general guidelines can be followed for other vehicles.

img_8576-jpg.61994

img_8581-jpg.62002

I'll preface that this is a utility vehicle for me, not a show/toy vehicle so my choice in mounting location most likely would have been different if it didn't have 205k on it :).

I decided to mount it right under the ash tray. 99% of the time It's open so I can access the cig lighters so I wasn't too concerned about the screen angle should I need to close it.

img_8571-jpg.62010

Here is the wiring from the monitor that I ran to my ignition wires.(Please excuse the T-Taps from previous owner:whatever:. On my 95 Tahoe I connected Red from the monitor to Orange in the car and Blue from the monitor to Red in the car, then find a good ground for the black wire.

img_8573-jpg.62018

img_8577-jpg.62026

img_8578-jpg.62034

This is the video wire that comes with the camera. As expected it was too short to make it alllll the way to the tailgate so I made sure I had female to female RCA barrel connectors and another 6ft cheap-o RCA to make it the rest of the way. Also to note that I did not snap a picture of is that the camera will also need accessory power and ground. So along with the video wire, I also ran a pair of regular copper wire to the back along with the video RCA and made my connections at the same locations as pictured above.

66-AD502GX.jpg

img_8574-jpg.62042

Some cameras like Pyle brand come with a one time use hole saw so you can use it or use the old fashion way of stepping up drill bits and then finishing off with a Dremel

img_8579-jpg.62050

img_8580-jpg.62058

The reason I do the monitor first is so that when you have your camera installed, you can flip the system on and check out the camera orientation to make sure you didn't install the camera upside down or turned off to one side before putting everything back together. :)

img_8586-jpg.62066

The picture is sharper that shown below, for some reason my iPhone was having a hard time focusing on the screen during daylight.

img_8582-jpg.62074

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of your pictures are broken

I got a 4.3" screen, camera, and a wireless send/receive unit for about $40 all said, not looking for perfect quality just something to show where my ass is

I plan to try and install the screen into the CD holder of the overhead compartment, flip it down and there it is, and there is power there in the form of lights so finding a 12v feed should be easy