LED Modifications

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgorman1033

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any LED modifications to their 2015? Pictures and wiring info would be nice. Thanks.

mwardncsu

Reaction score
I will be replacing the Reverse lights with these Philips LEDs
Philips 12841B2 White Exterior Vision LED Bulb (Pack of 2)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2D41OQ

and the license plate bulbs with these...
SYLVANIA 168/194/2825 LED Premium White Miniature Bulb, (Pack of 1)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AIJY2ZM

Thinking about adding weatherproof LED strips to the underside of the fixed running boards - but need to decide where to tie them into since my Suburban LT does not have the puddle lights like some of the higher trim-lines do..... Could perhaps tie them to the interior lights so that when you remote unlock the vehicle or open the door they would come on, but would be on that you don't want exterior lights to be on as well but probably are times when the interior lights are on that you don't want exterior lights on.....

mwardncsu

Reaction score
Did our 1st "mods" tonight to our '15 Suburban LT.... swapped out the reverse & license plate bulbs with LEDs

For the Reverse bulbs, I ended up ordering the "Philips 12841B2 White Exterior Vision LED Bulb (Pack of 2)" from Amazon. The came in over the weekend and I popped them in tonight. Installation was fairly easy as mentioned elsewhere - remove the trim piece that covers the Torx screws that secure the light, remove the screws and gently pull the taillight assembly out. I had to use a pair of pliers just a bit of force to get the reverse light connector to rotate and extract from the housing - but then the bulb was a quick swap and put it all back together.

The pics don't really do justice, but here is one with the LED in the left side, and OE in the right...

FBAD9C87-352B-4930-A039-B165AE518ACB.jpg

Then a close-up of the tail light with the new bulb - definitely looks better with the whiter light - and definitely brighter.

D686AB93-F6F3-44BD-B8BD-B3C7E2163A35.jpg

I'm not sure I'm in love with the Chevy taillights... I sort of like the GMC tails, but they are what they are, and it's my wife's vehicle, plus you don't really see the rear of the vehicle when driving, do you :)

On the license plate bulbs, I saw Philip's had some that would supposedly work - and came in a 2 pk, but decieded to go with what others here recommended - the SYLVANIA 168/194/2825 LED Premium White Miniature Bulb -- they only came as a 1-pk on Amazon, and 1 was almost the cost of the 2 pk of Philip's bulbs.

Before with the OE bulbs
365DEFC8-11E0-4A0B-80B3-66D044C1CE1B.jpg

After with the Sylvania LEDs - a much more attractive white light
FEBFD207-DAAE-4ABD-9A16-D8F195BE69FA.jpg

sgorman1033

Reaction score
Has anyone tried replacing the rear red lights with LEDs? I know on my 03 Trailblazer I had to include a resistor to prevent the car's power system for making it think it wasn't installed right with the different power consumption with led vs condecant bulbs.

mwardncsu

Reaction score
Have not tried - but the "Philips 12838REDB2 Red Exterior Vision LED Bulb" looks to be a good option. I see some comments that one purchaser with a Honda Accord required load resistors. Also, given the way the light emits from the "bulb" you'll need to ensure it fires into the reflector - and it may create a small "dark" spot where the "bulb" is located.

Last edited:

sgorman1033

Reaction score
I installed the Phillips bulbs for the reverse lights as described above and WOW, what a huge difference. They are for sure brighter. I'm glad I did that.

I don't know if the new Tahoe will throw a code on the rear brake or turn signal lights if switched to LED but I'll see when mine come in. If they throw an error, I'll try the CAN bus lights and see if that stops the error.

mwardncsu

Reaction score
Let us know which LEDs you try and how they work out for brake and turn signal. Curious about replacing the front turns as well....

KILLROY

Reaction score
- remove the trim piece that covers the Torx screws that secure the light, remove the screws and gently pull the taillight assembly out. I had to use a pair of pliers just a bit of force to get the reverse light connector to rotate and extract from the housing - but then the bulb was a quick swap and put it all back together.

Remove what trim piece and how?

mwardncsu

Reaction score
When facing rear of the vehicle with the tail-gate open, there is a plastic trim piece on the "inside" of the right/left of the tail-light. The Owners Manual shows this piece to be removed for changing the bulbs. It will pull out, with a bit of force, by hand.

LA Rodz

Reaction score
Looks Great!! I'll have to order some tonight...