Tahoe LT Z71 Question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bighurk

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new to this forum and Tahoe's in general. This will be my first time getting an SUV and just wanted to know if the extra 1700 was worth it to get the Z71 package for the suspension and underbody plates as opposed to getting a regular LT? Thanks!

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO the Bilstein shocks give a great ride. The plates are protection and if take off road they can save you some headache but on the asphalt all the time they are just hanging there. The last time I had a 96 Tahoe. I bought Bilstein shocks when they needed replaced and got the ride I wanted. What was then a Z71 package I am sure is different now. Since I knew I did not want the newer rig I didn't look in to what comes on the new rigs with the Z71 package.

BlessedHellRide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fantastic and paractical utilitarian vehicle. I am actually upgrading into this vehicle in the next few coming months.Waiting on 2016 MY to make the jump.

73Vetteman

Reaction score
The Z71 also gives you upgraded wheels, fog lights, fancy unique grill, chrome oval side steps, a couple of other upgrades and very importantly - a 3.42 performance axle ratio.

Great value at $1700 in my opinion.

Bighurk

Reaction score
I preordered my Z71 Tahoe and they told me 8 weeks. It was the longest 8 weeks I've ever waited but when the time came, it was worth the wait. Lovin my Z71 [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Pee

Reaction score
The Z71 also gives you upgraded wheels, fog lights, fancy unique grill, chrome oval side steps, a couple of other upgrades and very importantly - a 3.42 performance axle ratio.

Great value at $1700 in my opinion.

How much does the 3.42 affect MPGs?

73Vetteman

Reaction score
3.42 Ratio Effect on MPG

How much does the 3.42 affect MPGs?

It appears to actually improve high speed MPG from my experience. I can understand where it might reduce MPG at steady state slow speed such as 55 MPH where the engine isn't working very hard.

I have a 96 Tahoe with the optional trailer ratio (3.73 at that time) and it got almost 1 MPG better at 75 mph than my son's 96 with standard 3.42 ratio.

My 2001 Tahoe also has the trailer ratio (4.10 at that time) and gets about the same MPG as my neighbor's 2003 at freeway speed.

My assumption is that at higher speeds, less power enrichment is needed with the trailer ratio due to less load on the engine.

I should also mention that I have about 100k miles on my 96 and over 250k miles on my 2001 and transmissions in both trucks have never had anything more than oil changes done to them! Possibly the reduced load on the transmission allows it to live longer?