Loss of power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgorman1033

Reaction score
Last week I had to pull over because my Tahoe LTZ felt like it was losing power like someone was intermittently "fluttering" the gas pedal. I wasn't getting consistent power to the engine.

OnStar said that after running a diagnostic test that it was a "fuel management system" error.

I was able to get home and drive it to the dealership for them to repair it. They said that it was a fuel pump that needed to be replaced. They provided me with a rental for 2 days.

Now this morning (a week after the initial problem) it's doing the same thing again but less than a mile down the road, I turned at a stop sign and the RPMs dropped to 0 and I again lost power to the vehicle. I had to pull over, stop and start the vehicle, and try again. This loss of power continued again for several times. I called Chevy Roadside Assistance to come tow it and take it back to the dealership because I do not feel that it is safe to drive it at this point.

It's at the dealership again and I will update when I know more info.

sgorman1033

Reaction score
It's a 2015. There was a check engine light both times but no message on the DIC.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can provide some dtcs I would be able to help you out being its a 2015 I'm sure its still under 3years 36k mile bumper to bumper manufacturer warranty

sgorman1033

Reaction score
The service manager said that they did have to order a part. He couldn't tell me what part was ordered but he would notify me in the next day or two once it's installed and running properly. I'll definitely provide the details once I get an itemized printout of the service work.

sgorman1033

Reaction score
It's been 1 week now since it had to be service at the dealership for the 2nd time. The manager said that Chevy told them to order a new computer. Should take 2 days to get that.

sgorman1033

Reaction score
Just an update that it's been about a total of 3 weeks that it's been at the dealership service center now. Still no word on what they're doing with it. Again, the last thing they said that they were gonna try was to install a new computer in it. Chevy's Customer Care on Twitter did reach out to me but they just said that they also saw it in their system as being services and that they were sorry for any inconveniences that this my be causing me.

On another note, the Dodge Ram 1500 truck rental that I'm driving around feels pretty nice. It's 1/3 the price of the Tahoe. *sigh*

sgorman1033

Reaction score
Well, the new computer didn't work and the service manager said that it's got to be an electrical issue and it's gonna take a step by step process to tray and figure it out. I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't just push them into giving me a new Tahoe since this might be a lemon. Idk?

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone should be able to attach the proper test equipment/scanner and roadtest your rig and duplicate the problem, since they say now it is not the computer, and see what is missing when that happens and then do what I used to call, Systems Based Diagnostics, to pinpoint the problem. I would be worried about grounds and connectors and damn it just plain common sense. They can also send an engineer in to help with the problem. They will drag this out though because in your situation you are whole because you are supplied with another vehicle at no charge.

sgorman1033

Reaction score
You think since it's pulling a code and with technology these days they would be able to pin point it sooner.

Even tho they provided me with a truck in the meantime, I still paid more money for the Tahoe than what the Dodgr Ram is worth and for it to be in the shop now 3 weeks is frustrating. I'm glad they gave me a rental but still not what I paid for.

GM called two days ago, an hour after I called the dealership to get an update, and they asked me to update them on my situation. I actually think they were wanting to get a survey/feedback from me instead but it turned into me explaining everything to update them on the status of my vehicle. After getting them up to speed, the representative said that she would escalate my case to the Emergency Responce team. I mentioned to her that if they do find the problem, I would still like to entertain a complimentary extended warranty due to the fact that I would still feel unsafe or learey driving it and then later down the road it possibly would have these issues again. Idk. I just want to that I'm protected from this issue again. This ER dept should be calling me in a day or two, from what she said.

sgorman1033

Reaction score
Got my Tahoe back today and it's been out for about 35 days. After going around in circles, it came down the another bad fuel pump that GM initially sent to the dealership to replace the first repair.

My question now is, should I still follow through with the Lemon Law that I've submitted to the BBB and GM? It stats that if it's been out of service for more than 30 days cumulative then the manufacturer has to either buy it back or replace it. I would like something in a warranty to compensate my time and inconvenience for having it out for so long, and also, how do I know that everything else they worked on didn't mess something else up too?

I would love to get a complimentary extended warranty if I'm going to keep the same vehicle. I just wanna know that I'm safe.

Thoughts anyone?

sgorman1033

Reaction score
Back in the Chevy service center today. Two days ago I went to start the vehicle and it didn't start until about 3 or 4 pushes of the ignition button. When it did start, the CEL came on with a code and it was driving in low gear. One gear. After I pulled over and turned it off, it went back to normal after restarting the vehicle.

Same day, I was getting it washed and the cleaning crew notified me that there was a spots of water on the floorboard in the front passenger area. Roughly where ones left foot would rest and about the size of my hand. The detailing crew didn't do it nor has it been raining for a week. Where would this water come from?

Today, I started it and the in dash display said, "tighten gas cap." I haven't filled up for about a week and the gas cap was on correctly.

What is going on with this vehicle!?

GM has been on the case with my along with the BBB and the rep for GM said this is a unique case.

sgorman1033

Reaction score
OMG! After a couple weeks of having the vehicle back, it didn't start right one morning and stayed in a lower gear, a message on the dash saying "tighten gas cap" and now it's pulling a code P0446. This is getting stupid.

GM is trying so hard to close this case with me with the BBB. I'm not gonna until I know this vehicle is done right. This thing is a lemon and I sick of it.

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same day, I was getting it washed and the cleaning crew notified me that there was a spots of water on the floorboard in the front passenger area. Roughly where ones left foot would rest and about the size of my hand. The detailing crew didn't do it nor has it been raining for a week. Where would this water come from?

Since I don't have access to the tech manuals yet, I'm guessing on this one. I do know of this being an issue in other GM vehicles, so I think it could be a possibility. Have them check the AC system's condensation drain. On some models, the condensate goes into a "pan" where it collects slightly. The "pan" has a hole in it where a piece of tubing attaches. the condensate runs out through the tube and drips at a location acceptable to the designers. If the hole in the pan or tube gets clogged (yes, it can happen pretty easily at times), the condensate spills out of the pan and onto the passenger side floorboard.

Not sure if this water issue could be causing the electrical gremlins, but it is possible. It all depends on where the electronics are located....

Dace

Reaction score
Wow what a mess. I would definitely force them to take it back through every legal action I could find. I don't care how much of a warranty they offer.