Wierd Diagnostic-Possible vacuum leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dgedinyte

Reaction score
Hey guys, Hope everyone is well. I just got a 2004 Tahoe and it seems to be running decently. I say decently because it's quiet and generally responsive, but it's rough at idle, and there are times when it is lacking a little power during acceleration. There are no lights on in the dash(well there is a service air bag message). Ok so also after a hard or long ride I can hear this noise like something mechanical struggling in the rear passenger wheel well. I dont know what it is but i'm guessing evap solenoid. I'm posting a pic of what I can see. I got a diagnostic at an auto parts store and I got a laundry list of stuff as follows :
P0171
P0174
MilOff
0 Inc
& Ready
Misfire
Fuel
Comp
Catalyst
Evap
02 Snsr
02 HTR

Attachments

• 20150506_205701.jpg
    20150506_205701.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 3

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 has detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 1 is the side of the engine that has cylinder #1. The P0171 is one of the more common trouble codes.

This code is triggered by the first downstream (front) O2 sensor. The sensor provides a reading of the air:fuel ratio leaving the engine's cylinders, and the vehicles powertrain/engine control module (PCM/ECM) uses that reading and adjusts to keep the engine running at that optimum ratio of 14.7:1. If something is not right and the PCM cannot maintain the 14.7:1 ratio, but rather there is too much air, it triggers this code.

You'll want to also read our article on short and long term fuel trims to help understand the operation of the engine. Note: This DTC is very similar to P0174, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.

This diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is a generic OBD-II powertrain code. It is considered generic because it applies to all makes and models of vehicles (1996-newer), although specific repair steps may vary depending on the model.

Symptoms

You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as:
• a lack of power
•detonation (spark knock)
•rough idle
•hesitation/surge on acceleration.

Causes

A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
•The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty
Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
•There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor
•Possible cracked vacuum or PCV line/connection
•Faulty or stuck open PCV valve
•Failed or faulty oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 1)
•Sticking/plugged or failed fuel injector
•Low fuel pressure (possible plugged/dirty fuel filter!)
•Exhaust leak between engine and first oxygen sensor

Possible Solutions

A lot of times, cleaning the MAF sensor and finding/fixing vacuum leaks fix the problem. If you're on a tight budget, start there, but that may not be the fix for certain. So, possible solutions include:
•Clean the MAF sensor. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
•Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace/repair as required
•Inspect all hoses and connections in the air intake system
•Inspect and/or test the intake manifold gaskets for leakage
•Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure
•Ideally you'll want to monitor short and long term fuel trims using an advanced scan tool
•If you have access, you may want to run a smoke test

P0174 Code:
Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 2 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 2 is generally the side of the engine that doesn't have cylinder #1.

Note: This DTC is very similar to P0171, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.

Symptoms

You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a lack of power, detonation (spark knock), and/or a hesitation/surge on acceleration.

Causes

A code P0174 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
•The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
•There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.

Possible Solutions

Possible solutions include:
•In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
•Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
•Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure

pwol1962

Reaction score
P0171 & P0174 Lean Banks 1 & 2

Thank you for the great recommendations.

In addition to having the codes P0171 & P0174 I also had the stabilitrac off intermittent message, and a hard shift from 1st to 2nd when the stabilitrac message was displayed on the information display on our 07 LTZ Tahoe with 88k miles.

I cleaned the mass airflow sensor using mass airflow sensor spray cleaner, replaced the air filter and also discovered that the PVC hose was disconnected from the air plenum. Several months earlier I had removed and cleaned the throttle body, which contained a lot of black residue then replaced it and reconnected the PVC hose and engine cover. Evidently the PVC hose became disconnected when replacing the engine cover or shortly thereafter and that's when the issues with the check engine indication coming on along with the stabilitrac message and hard shift.

I had read and unsuccessfully tried all the other solutions recommended on the forum and I resolved the problem as described above. Maybe this won't resolve others who have an issue related to the stabilitrac and lean bank 1 and 2, but this didn't take very long to implement and the cost for the mass airflow cleaner and air filter was only $20. It sure beat taking it to a local dealership and paying $120/hr plus parts.