Daytime Running Lights (DRL) on Various 2015 Models

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leafman60

Reaction score
My 2015 Tahoe Z71 is using the low headlight beam for the DRL.

I've noticed that other models like the LTZ rely on the led strips instead of the low beam. I'm thinking these models are the HID lamps and that has something to do with their different configuration.

Any other Z71 owners notice which beams are activated by DRL?

I still have the led strips and they are illuminated but the low headlight beams are the DRL on my 2015 Z71 Tahoe.

leafman60

Reaction score
BIGHURK posted on the splash guard thread in 2007+ section -

For mine, it is using low beams as DRL. Depending on how bright it is outside, I would say the majority of the time, mine is on. Sometimes I would just manually turn it off.

RiverRunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LTZ is the only trim that uses the LED strip as the DRL. I'm switching out my headlights for HIDs and will either deactivate DRL altogether or figure out a way to use the LEDs like the LTZ does.

leafman60

Reaction score
I prefer the appearance of the headlamp DRL over the led strips. The led strips look somewhat like a garish aftermarket touch, like something from JC Whitney. Just my opinion.

Are the DRL headlamps running at lower voltage on DRL than on night-time headlamp function?

That would complicate converting to HID or LED.

73Vetteman

Reaction score
Are the DRL headlamps running at lower voltage on DRL than on night-time headlamp function?

That would complicate converting to HID or LED.

The DRL's operate slightly dimmer than headlights due to the PWM (pulse width modulation) signal sent to them. Yes, that does complicate changing to HID or LED's. A capacitor and relay harness overcome the problem. The capacitor smooths out the signal for a constant voltage to operate the relay and the relay gives full voltage to the replacement lights.

leafman60

Reaction score
The DRL's operate slightly dimmer than headlights due to the PWM (pulse width modulation) signal sent to them. Yes, that does complicate changing to HID or LED's. A capacitor and relay harness overcome the problem. The capacitor smooths out the signal for a constant voltage to operate the relay and the relay gives full voltage to the replacement lights.

Ahhhh, but then your DRL's will be running at full intensity. Most LED's and HID require full voltage.

73Vetteman

Reaction score
Full Intensity?

Ahhhh, but then your DRL's will be running at full intensity. Most LED's and HID require full voltage.

Yes they will be operating at full intensity, just like the LED strips on the LTZ. I think the reason halogens are dimmed for DRL purposes is to prolong bulb life. Since HID's last 2.5 times longer than halogens and LED's even longer, bulb life should not be a problem.

leafman60

Reaction score
Yes they will be operating at full intensity, just like the LED strips on the LTZ. I think the reason halogens are dimmed for DRL purposes is to prolong bulb life. Since HID's last 2.5 times longer than halogens and LED's even longer, bulb life should not be a problem.

That will be some bright-ass DRL's.

The DRL/low beam bulbs are H-11, I think.

What are the high beam bulbs?