2004 tahoe freeze plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lhawk

Reaction score
I have a 2004 tahoe diagnosed with a missing freeze plug. Dealer wanted $700. They said they had to remove the head. I don't believe so. I believe there is a freeze plug right above the starter. Does anyone know for sure?

Lhawk

Reaction score
2004 tahoe

The leak is coming from above the starter.

Lhawk

Reaction score
2004 tahoe

Your are 100% right. I do need the details but from my understanding they would have to take the engine or head out to repair. I will can the dealer and find out. But tomorrow I am going to jack it up, take of the starter and see if I can reach the one I need to replace. I know that it is on the passenger side towards the back. When I add coolant it all spews out onto the ground. It rolls of of the oil pan and starter.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea. Because if it is in the back of the block then why does the head have to come off? If is in the head and the firewall is in the way then yes the head may have to come off. If is in fact in the block and the configuration of the firewall only allows for access from the top after removing the head then that does make sense. What does not make sense at all is to tell you why the head has to come off. I hate when a service writer/manager tells me something has to be done for a repair and is not ready with the reason for why it has to be done but if you don't ask then that is what they are looking for. TURDS!