2015 Tahoe turns off after 1 hr at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam P

Reaction score
This is my first time posting on a forum, so I hope I'm doing this right. I bought my new 2015 Tahoe LT with the Z71 package last weekend. I love every damn thing about it. I just have one odd issue, and I don't know if it's something I'm going to have to live with or if there's a fix action that can correct it.

And now to the issue.......I usually take my dog with me when I go out, and he hangs out in my vehicle if I go in a store or something. On the hot days, I keep the engine running and the AC on for him (Yeah yeah, I know). My 2013 Durango R/T would stay running for hours and hours with the key fob out of the vehicle, but I've found over the past week that running at idle with the AC on low, the RKE (key fob) in my pocket away from the Tahoe, and the doors locked remotely that the Tahoe turns itself off after about an hour. I've timed the turn off and I've verified that it's not just overheating. I can't find anything in the manual about it shutting off for any reason other than overheating, and the Chevy Customer Service Lady I chatted with couldn't find any more info. Luckily, I'm stationed in Washington state right now and we usually only get a few really hot days out here, but I'm changing bases to a very hot part of the world soon.

I'd like to know if anybody out there knows anything about 2015 Tahoe's automatically turning off after a period of time with the RKE out of the vehicle. I need to figure out a solution for my dog for my next base, and I'd prefer the solution not be me having to go out to the Tahoe every hour to turn it off and on again to restart the countdown timer for the next turn off. I'd appreciate any info/help you folks could give.

Thanks,
AP

20Tahoe12LT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky, that your '15 lasts an hour on remote start! My '12, the restart function only lasts 10 mins., and you can only re-start it twice, then you HAVE to put the key in. This must be a Chevy safety feature. Personally, I find it annoying.

Adam P

Reaction score
Yep, mine only works for 10 minutes with remote start, too. The condition I was asking about is when I start it using the pushbutton start, and then leave the Tahoe with the key in my pocket. It's still running, but it cuts off at around an hour.

07burb

Reaction score
The bigger question is why in the world do you need to leave your vehicle idling and doing nothing but burning fuel for an hour or more???? It wouldn't surprise me if GM programmed this into the vehicle thinking that if this was happening someone obviously left it running on accident so might as well turn it off.

Adam P

Reaction score
I leave it running when I'm transporting animals on a hot summer day. If I have to stop somewhere and I can't take my pup inside with me, I usually leave him in the car with the AC running for him. It doesn't burn as much gas as you'd think. It's just at idle with the AC on low. Now I'm paranoid about how long it's been, because it only takes a few minutes for a vehicle to heat up from 70 to 100 in the hot summer sun.