2000 Limited Towing Pkg?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Chamo

Reaction score
This is my first post and my first time being here. My name is Ed and I recently bought a 2000 Tahoe Limited. I mainly bought because I needed a truck to tow my boat which I recently purchased. The manual says that this truck should come with a standard 7 pin plug attached to the frame right behind the license plate/bumper, but after looking for it, I cant find it! Does anyone know where I should be looking? The plastic trim that covers the tow hitch hole has never been "cut", so this truck was never used for towing......could it be that it does not come with it? Is it difficult to "tap" into the rear lights to install one? I am mechanically inclined (work on my own Harley and "small" block Nova), but have never dealt with anything related to towing wiring. Thanks for your time/advise.

Best regards,
Ed

CADDY BOB

Reaction score
There should be a wire harness further back under truck to plug in htow wires mine fell an were dragged an had to be replaced bought new wires that just plugged into plug further back an there might be one on driver side behind rear wheel or maybe ask dealer it might not have had option unless "special ordered " that way since I think they are 2wheel drive?

El Chamo

Reaction score
The only wires coming from the front are to the tailights and license plate lights.....I even dropped the spare to see if they were tucked in there but no wires. I am baffled since manual says that it came with it.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tahoe had a wire bundle in the frame rail beside the spare tire, there was NO connector, had to terminate the wires myself.... but it was a 95.

Possibility, perhaps they didnt equip the limited with a "tow package"

Jungle Rooster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ed- my 2000 Limited has a hidden hitch, but the connector was a four pin round....to convert that it will just require a pigtail adapter to my 7 pin round connector. I do think some Limiteds came with a tow package option, and I have read that a 7 pin connector was supposed to be there, but haven't seen pictures or heard of any that actually had it. Back in 2000 I'm not sure if the 7 pin was the standard....I thought that was a more modern day type of connection. Not sure.

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ed- my 2000 Limited has a hidden hitch, but the connector was a four pin round....to convert that it will just require a pigtail adapter to my 7 pin round connector. I do think some Limiteds came with a tow package option, and I have read that a 7 pin connector was supposed to be there, but haven't seen pictures or heard of any that actually had it. Back in 2000 I'm not sure if the 7 pin was the standard....I thought that was a more modern day type of connection. Not sure.

Keep in mind that simply using an adapter will not give you the full functionality of a 7-pin connector (You will not have trailer brakes or a charge circuit)

Jungle Rooster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(trailer adapter from stock 4 round to 7 round)

Correct, Ice....at least I've been told that same thing. I do have electric brakes on my trailer, but understand that if I use an adapter from the stock 4 round to a 7 round, that I will only have running lights, brake lights, and turn signal features. (Hazards, of course...) But no electric brakes.

I will just use my Escalade for long trips or when traveling on roads that would require additional brakes, and shorter, easier trips will be fine with the Tahoe Limited.

I'd rather not pay to have the whole rear part of the truck wired up with a 7 round, but I might go that route in the future.

Thanks!