2015 Tahoe Engine Block Serial #

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam P

Reaction score
I've recently moved overseas and my vehicle is somewhere in the Atlantic on a ship heading my way. I just found out that the country I've moved to requires a vehicle's engine block serial # in order to register it. I won't be able to see my Tahoe until AFTER I've registered it, so I'm trying to figure it out.

I spoke with Chevy customer service via chat and phone, but they had no idea what the serial is or where I could find it. I called the dealership I bought it from yesterday, and they couldn't tell me the exact serial for my engine, but the head tech said that it should be the last 8 digits of the VIN.

Before I go and put that on official documents, I wanted to verify whether or not that was a true statement. Customs is an absolute NIGHTMARE here, and if the paperwork doesn't match what's on the engine, it'll be a huge pain.

Can anyone verify whether or not the serial number stamped on the engine block is the last 8 digits of the VIN? Also, when it does get here and I'm doing the inspection with the customs guy, where would the serial number be located on the engine?

Thanks for any info,

AP

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, I do not know the answer to your question. What I can tell you is that the serial number on your block will contain at least a portion of your VIN. Just how many digits of your VIN and what, if any, other numbering goes with it, I'm not sure. I'm not positive of where the serial number is located on the block either. I know where to look for some other series motors, but not this new one.

I will try to find mine later tonight. I do have to work late, so it will be a while before I can try to find it on ours. I'll post back what I find...

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... I'm a little stumped on this one. With my hectic work schedule this week, I haven't had a whole lot of time to work on it. However, in the time I did have, I have not been able to locate the engine serial number on my Tahoe. I will take a more detailed look this weekend. I have reached out to a chevy tech friend of mine. Hopefully he can help me pin it down....

Adam P

Reaction score
I appreciate you taking the time look. I just got notified that my Tahoe arrived from the port, so hopefully I can sweet talk customs into letting me take a look at mine before I have it registered.

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I've come up empty so far. My tech friend hasn't responded yet to help me narrow down my search. I'm contacting another friend of mine to see if he can help. I'll keep trying to locate something on my engine too, but I'm stumped on this one.

NowakPE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I am able to come up with so far is that the serial number is located on the side of the block. You have to be underneath the car to see it. It should be kind of in the vicinity of the oil filter. I will check mine tonight to see if I can find it.

A Chevy Dealer's Service Department can also recover this number for you if you give them the full vehicle VIN. They have to run a few reports to get it, but they can (they said it would take them about an hour to get it that way). This info comes from the service department at a dealer I know in Billings, MT.

In looking at other late model Tahoe info (not the new DI motors) the engine serial number contains some initial codes that indicate the date of manufacture of the engine, the engine plant where it was produced, and some VIN derivatives. The derivative appears a little complicated; like VIN number position "d" is engine serial number position "w"; VIN position "e" is engine serial number "x"; and then a range of VIN position numbers is part of the engine serial number. For example, see page 9 of this link for a 2006 Tahoe: https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...formation-kits/Tahoe/2006-Chevrolet-Tahoe.pdf.