Potential New Owner Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ae1m

Reaction score
I currently have a 2002 Tahoe LT that I tow 7000lbs with. It's getting on in years and I am looking at a lightly used 2015 LT. There is nothing in the LTZ that seems to justify the extra price to me.

There seems to be some conflicting information in another thread about the towing capacity of this truck, the other posting (HERE) says the towing limit is only 6300 lbs.

Do I need the Max Towing Package to tow 7000? I have the 2015 brochure but the Max Towing Package says nothing about greater towing capacity.

Thanks,
Bob

73Vetteman

Reaction score
3.42 gear ratio

Z71 and Max tow package include a 3.42 axle ratio. That allows for extra towing capability as well as better performance. You definitely want the 3.42 ratio to tow 7,000 pounds
I ordered my LT with the Max tow package primarily for the 3.42 axle ratio and additionally for the automatic level shocks and electric brake control. I found the ride with tow package too stiff for my liking so installed Escalade springs for an ultra soft ride.
FYI - electric brake control is available as accessory for the Z71. Air shocks and/or air bags are also available for the Z71.