Get a 2016 Tahoe or save money and go with a new 2015 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uat1

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a new Tahoe but I am not sure if it's worth it to pay the premium to buy a 2016 model or save some money and go with 2015 model. Any opnion?

davemcd

Reaction score
I suspect people are going to have strongly opposing views on this topic, but I just went through this same debate myself. I wound up getting a 2015, because I couldn't justify the premium on a 2016. Decide for yourself whether Apple CarPlay is something you really want. I don't think there were any significant changes besides CarPlay. Some people think the bugs from the new model year get worked out in the second year, and maybe that's true. Also, I'm not planning to sell it for a really long time, if ever, so the hit to the resale value in getting a 2015 wasn't much of a factor for me.

Qwest

Reaction score
New 2015 owner here. Bottom line... Mylink is horrible. Android Auto is the only thing that's going to save it at this point unless you plan to buy a new $50k+ truck every year until they get it right. They don't provide mylink updates for even last year models. You basically have to buy a new truck to get the latest version. It's a complete ripoff.

Granted, my only regret is not having android auto. The 2016 is identical in every other way other than that they removed the SD card slot n the 2016 for some reason. Had I known the 2015 wasn't a definite for android auto I'd have paid more and gotten the 2016.

However, when it comes down to it, the answer -for you- is that it really depends on how you want to use the vehicle now and in the future.

First... I purposely got the 2015 without navigation to save money and because I just use my phone to navigate. It's free including map updates and it tends to be far more accurate than most vehicle manufacturer baked in versions. The problem? I've got this huge 8 inch screen but I have to look at my phone to see the map. With Android auto the map would be on my screen.

Second... the part that has really urked me the most since I got it is the way Mylink seems to be a purposely horrible implementation for music. It s so bad I can only believe they did it on purpose. Either because they were rushing to get the 2015 model out or this is good old planned obsolescence at work.

If you were planning to play music from your phone in any way don't bother getting the 2015. If you connect via bluetooth Mylink can't read your song catalog. So you have to pick up your phone and start the song. Want to play a different artist or album? You can't just use a voice command like EVERY OTHER CAR I've seen that has voice commands. You have to pick up your phone and manually navigate to the song you want and press play. Enjoy doing that while driving... Mylink won't pass voice commands to GoogleNow or Siri. It just sits there in the way being worthless with its limited voice commands menu.

You can plug your phone in and, if you have an iPhone I think it reads the song catalog better but not for Android. I'm currently trying to root my phone so I can make it show up to MyLink as a USB mass storage device but I don't think it will matter. You see with all the USB ports on there I plugged a USB drive in with a bunch of albums and the functionality is no better than bluetooth. One album directory at a time. No voice commands because it can't recognize the music.

Also, just some additional food for thought. After they roll out Android Auto next year they will slowly start winding down development of MyLink so my prediction is that MyLink is not going to get any better. No matter how much all the blogs are regurgitating their lies about how they plan to continue to develop MyLink with android auto and CarPlay as just another app in the ecosystem. Don't be fooled by that. Common sense will tell you that once the consumers see they can do everything MyLink and Onstar can do COMBINED through their phones for FREE with Android Auto and Car Play they will completely ignore Mylink. Drivers will just get in their cars, launch Android Auto or CarPlay and pretend Mylink doesn't exist.

The idea of an built in manufacturer infotainment system and app ecosystem is dead. The manufacturers just cant admit it yet because they need people to buy all the old cars.

Last edited: