Dinghy towing 2016 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmsss

Reaction score
Traded off our 2011 Tahoe for a 2016. I think I may have made a mistake. Is the only reason to disconnect the negative battery cable to make sure the steering stays unlocked or is there some other reason? The '11 didn't have the locking steering so all we had to do is put the transfer case in neutral and go. Didn't have to pull fuses or anything. Most states require auxiliary brakes and breakaway brakes on tows more than 3000 lbs. You can't have either if the battery is disconnected. If the only reason is to keep the steering unlocked, I can disable the lock on the column. Any one know for sure why the battery must be disconnected.

RiverRunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it has to do with the electronic steering, not the locking of the steering. I dinghy towed my H2 for years, had to have the ignition on, to keep the steering wheel unlocked. I had to add a 12v power feed to the vehicle in the round 6 pin connector that ran the tail lights, signal blinkers, and brake lights to keep the battery from going dead after a few hours of towing. I use a Brake Buddy in that vehicle. I haven't setup my Tahoe yet, but will do that soon.

STUBBY1948

Reaction score
I purchased a 2016 Tahoe 4 wheel drive from a dealership with the understanding I would be able to tow it behind my motor home. Guess what my 4 WD does not have the 2 speed transfer case. 6 months elapsed before I discovered I could not put the transfer case into neutral. Called the salesperson, who said bring it in and I'll show you how to get it into neutral - surprise. He said he had checked to make sure the vehicle was towable, but ...

Is anyone aware of being able to swap out the transmission and transfer case as a remedy? Or if they have had a similar situation and how it was resolved?

RiverRunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man! I hate when salesmen make assurances that they know nothing about. I had a variety of similar experiences in talking to car sales people.

I'd go into the dealership and ask the parts guys to pull up both vehicles, they can show you both transfer cases. Did you get any of the salesman's promises in writing? If it's a different transfer case, it will be expensive to outfit your current vehicle correctly.

STUBBY1948

Reaction score
2016 4 X 4 Tahoe Dinghy - NOT

The Dealership is attempting to find me a similar 2016 Tahoe with the two speed transfer case. Not finding it quick enough to satisfy me, but what can you do. It seems there is no pull out the old transmission and transfer case and put in a new one - too many computer inputs and outputs???:flame:

davisbobdixie

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Tahoe with 2 speed transfer case. the control knob shows 2hi auto 4hi and 4 lo. how do I switch to neutral in order to dinghy tow

davisbobdixie

Reaction score
neutral mark on chevy tahoe

the neutral mark on the dial on the chevy Tahoe is not easily visible. the other markings are in black. the neutral is almost colorless. the instructions for switching to neutral are in the owners manual around page 265