Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tbohall20

Reaction score
So I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I'm trying to replace my front brakes and rotors. But I ran into problems with the Torx screws, so after some online research I figured it would be easier to remove the two 18mm bolts and remove the caliper and its housing all at once. Except my 18mm bolts are seized also... I've tried PB blaster, WD-40, heat, a hammer and an impact. I don't know where to go from here, any ideas?

Scrtcell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep spraying those bolts with your solvent pb blaster and you will need to get a impact socket,a breaker bar and a long cheater bar those 18 millimeter bolts will come out....

aanold

Reaction score
I just did my rears and found that GM installs the bracket bolts with high strength Loctite. The GM version is yellow but it's the equivelant of the red loctiite. I was able to use a 24" breaker bar and hammer. I used the hammer to repeatedly hit the breaker bar. My theory here was that I would be mimicking an impact and break the loctite. It did work for me.

If you are careful with a torch you can heat the bolts and the loctite will free up. That is actually the recommended method for breaking the high strength loctite.