97 Yukon Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vali

Reaction score
Hello! I have a 97 Yukon and while I was driving the STEERING just became hard. I mean it was hard to turn the wheel in any direction. I have no leaks and I hear no sound when I do turn the wheel. Tires turn as I strain to turn the steering wheel left or right. The Yukon is just sittin in my garage.

bhwakeboarder

Reaction score
Check your power steering fluid and make sure its filled up. If that doesn't work, its your power steering pump more than likely.

vali

Reaction score
Yup

Yeah I checked the power steering fluid and it is fine, but a little dirty. I thought it was the power steering pump. I just want to know if it is a job that I can do at home.

bhwakeboarder

Reaction score
man, if I were you I would get a chilton's manual and at least give it a try. You take the serpenine belt off, take a few bolts out, loosen a couple of hose clamps and that thing should come right off. I'm sure if you bought a pump it would come with instructions on how to prime the pump.

found this info online for you. It was off a chevy van,but I would assume it would be the same proceedure:
Get a 5/8 flare wrench to take off the high pressure hose and a screwdriver to take off the low pressure hose. Drain out fluid. Then you'll have to get a pulley puller to pull off the pulley. Once off the mounting bolts are exposed for you to take off the pump. Be sure to check brackets for cracks. Mounting is the reverse of this.

vali

Reaction score
Wow! Thank you bhwakeboarder you have been great. I will purchase the manual.