E85, is anyone using it yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowmobile

Reaction score
I've never used it myself because I don't think my Yukon can take it. It is available in my area at a cheaper price. I heard a interview on the radio and the woman said that it was 1.89 vs 2.29, but the vehicle uses more of it so it evens out. She did say that she preferred it because of the assist in dependancy on foreign countries and also that it made the car more responsive and felt like it produced more power.

slowmobile

Reaction score
As far as I know, no Denali's are flex fuel capable, so I didn't even check. In all the literature from GM that I have seen, there is only reference to the 5.3 being flex fuel.

AAHTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to try E85 BUT....

I live in Tempe, AZ and there is only one place in the Phoenix, AZ area that has E85 and it is a government facility so it is not available to the public. The next closest city is Tucson, AZ which is about 100 miles away.

doo600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used it a few times. It is cheaper and makes this truck pretty damn powerful. You can tell a huge horesepower difference between the two. Of course I burn through it much quicker than regular gas. Never noticed any change in the idle or when the computer was switching over into E85 mode. It's good stuff!

RDosdorian

Reaction score
Dealing with alternate fuels is something new to me. Before I ordered my Tahoe (which I have not taken delivery on yet) I did a little research on E85. I decided to go with it because I don't think it will adversly affect my overall plan for the vehicle.

I have been in contact with Whipple Superchargers. I have had them on vehicles in the past. You can not believe the performance increase until you have driven one with one of these units installed.

It is my understanding that E85 is 105 octane. With the blower installed, I will have to run at least 92 octane. I am really looking forward to seeing how the truck runs with the E85 fuel.

The new blower (acording to Whipple) will be intercooled and will be available sometime in the next 5 months.

AAHTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E85 Fuel - Have'nt Used It Yet

This is making me want to take a road trip to Tuscon from Tempe, AZ (100 mi) just to try a tank full of E85 for the trip back home.

LTZJoe

Reaction score
Anyone in here from Toronto, Canada know where to get some. I wouldn't mind trying a tankful.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
I think right now unless there is an ethanol plant near by, as I understand that it has to be trucked as it can't be piped, so it will be a rare thing in California and we pay the highest gas prices, so we need choices, and no I wouldn't be caught dead in a Pries.

RDosdorian

Reaction score
XM DUDE said:
You will have to keep us posted and let us know how that works out.

Definately. However, if the cost of the supercharger is too crazy, I will probably not do it. When I did my truck, I paid about $4,000 for the unit. Whipple is talking about including an intercooler with this one. That will drive the price up. We will see what funds look like at that time.

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AAHTahoe said:
This is making me want to take a road trip to Tuscon from Tempe, AZ (100 mi) just to try a tank full of E85 for the trip back home.

AAHTahoe,
Isn't it ridiculous that Phoenix with almost 4 million people and no E85 is available to the public? And only one place in Tucson has it also. I was told long ago that is was a beaucratic thing that the AZ government wants control over it. It IS being widely used here in Phoenix but only by state vehicles and the police departments from what I was told. So stupid that the auto manufacturers produce vehicles that will burn it and yet it is not available to use. My 2003 I had before this 2007 also was able to run E85 and I had it since it was new and never ever ran a tank of E85 thru it!

AAHTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
genestoy said:
AAHTahoe,
Isn't it ridiculous that Phoenix with almost 4 million people and no E85 is available to the public? And only one place in Tucson has it also. I was told long ago that is was a beaucratic thing that the AZ government wants control over it. It IS being widely used here in Phoenix but only by state vehicles and the police departments from what I was told. So stupid that the auto manufacturers produce vehicles that will burn it and yet it is not available to use. My 2003 I had before this 2007 also was able to run E85 and I had it since it was new and never ever ran a tank of E85 thru it!

Gene,

It is crazy!! Arizona is under the gun with the Feds regarding pollution control and clean air (Which we have none of.), to the degree that AZ could loose some government highway funding because the state is not being aggressive enough in cleaning up the air as well as encouraging the use of alternative fuels such as E85 by the general public. Janet needs to get somebody on the ball. By the way, thanks for the tip. I've got a call in to Chad and hope to hear from him tomorrow (Wednesday).

Allen

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good, Chad is a straight shooter and he will know the answers to your questions I am sure. He has always treated me fair. When my GMC's run out of warranty (a Chev dealer can't warranty a GMC unless you are traveling and no GMC dealer available) I always take my cars to him. I think he has been there about 15 years now, which is a very long time in the car business! By the way if he should not call as he is VERY busy, just call him again, but he will probably call.