I want Loud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
basically i have alpine SPR-17c, its basically a 6.5" type R 100watts rms. i just dont think they are loud enough anymore. i can tell they dont have much left in them either...i already have 2 12" L7s in the back so bass is enough, but for mids also these speakers arent really cutting it. i just want reallllyy loud more than mid. what are the options on our doors. would 6x9s be any louder? i saw a chevy truck the other day with the windows open and i could hear him CLEARLY playing from about 100 feet away with alot of room to spair.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Do you have an amplifier pushing any of your mids/highs? A good 4 channel amp will make a huge improvement in the overall volume and clarity of your system. I would install a set of 6.5" components in the front doors, 6.5" coaxials in the rear and a good 4 ch amp. Alpine Type R, Infinity Kappa, Focals, MB Quart, and Diamonds are great spekers you can try out.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So should i keep my Type Rs and get a amp. also how hard is it to swap out the amp? where is it located? would i have to run all new wires to the doors?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Keep your Type R(s) for now and hook them up to an amp. Don't worry about the factory amp. The factory amp is behind the glovebox, so your new amp will have to located elsewhere because of the limited space. When the new amp is being installed, the best way to go about it is to run new speaker wire straight to all four speakers.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think Type Rs take 80 watts rms and your original stuff isn't giving anywhere near that. So any good four channel amp will make you go way louder with no clipping or distortion.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you wouldnt want to itd be way to much of a wiring headache to split the wires for the RCA plugs off the stock head unit to run to the new amp.

also my speakers sound like they are at the max tho? would it be the amp?

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you're just running your speakers straight off of your new head unit. Your speakers sound like they are at the max because they are not getting enough power. Your head unit puts out no more than 20-25 watts rms and I think Type Rs can handle 80 watts rms. So they are thirsty for power. That doesn't mean you need to spend a fortune on an amp that gets 80 watts rms to your speakers. When I re-do my speakers, I'm planning on getting the Rockford Fosgate p4004 which will do 50w rms @ 4ohm or 100w rms @ 2ohm. You'd have to figure what ohm you are running first.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id go with the hifonics amp. and no the headunit isnt powering the speakers. the stock amp in the car is which i have no clue the power of

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a kicker sx 500.2 on diamond components in my tahoe and I rarely turned it up all the way without hearing protection. You need to drop dime on some sound deadener and a good dedicated amp or they won't scream. Your factory amp is limiting those speakers, I bet they'd sound 10x better with a real amp on them. I would go nothing less than 150watt rms on some good components and dampen the doors or your low end will always overpower the highs. My diamonds were obnoxious, I could make people roll their windows up in traffic when I had my metal up :cheers:

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a kicker sx 500.2 on diamond components in my tahoe and I rarely turned it up all the way without hearing protection. You need to drop dime on some sound deadener and a good dedicated amp or they won't scream. Your factory amp is limiting those speakers, I bet they'd sound 10x better with a real amp on them. I would go nothing less than 150watt rms on some good components and dampen the doors or your low end will always overpower the highs. My diamonds were obnoxious, I could make people roll their windows up in traffic when I had my metal up :cheers:

I have JL Audio ZR Series in my tahoe Mids and Highs with a 450/4 JL Amp and It screams...and has amazing clarity not distortion what so ever

01DUBKON

Reaction score
i just installed polk db 6.5 componets with tweets in all four doors with a clarion 400.4 4 channel its insane loud i found a real nice way to run speaker wire throught the harness in the door to eliminate the factory amp running the old interior speakers. You can run a factory head unit and its not that hard for someone with basic knowledge to hook it up just 2 l.o.c's (line output converters) behind the stock radio and a good set of 4 channel rca's and youd be set keep in mind though delco radio's (which ours are) limit bass output the higher the volume setting if your gonna upgrade interiors and amp em i would also go the distance and get a decent head unit with sub, front, and rear output pioneer has some nice ones cheap kenwood also would only set you back 200-250 anyone have any questions car audio/video is my specialty pm me or shoot me an email [email protected] more than happy to help with installs or any thing related hope this helps

Dave

NJ04HOE

Reaction score
I have JL Audio ZR Series in my tahoe Mids and Highs with a 450/4 JL Amp and It screams...and has amazing clarity not distortion what so ever

Which ZR's do you have in your doors? Do you have them in the front and rear? Right now I have MB Quart components (RCE-216) in my front and rear being pushed by a JL 300/4 V2 and I have hated the way they sounded since I had them put in about a year ago.
In my other car I have JL VR 650-csi's in the front and the VR 6x9's in the rear and I loooove the clarity and sound that I get from them. The reason I went with the MB's was I got two sets for $50 brand new from a friend of mine and it has been a regret since they were put in.

TravisH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also recommend going the 4 channel route. Type R is a good replacement speaker. Only thing better in the Alpine line-up is Type X (which only comes component form) and the F1 Status (If you have $3,000). Type R's can pump out some volume and still provide clarity. Don't ditch the speakers just yet.

I also recommend Boston Acoustics. Amazing speakers. A little different price point than Alpine though.

tah0e02

Reaction score
Heres my mono amp thats pusshing 2 12s... i need to get a 4 channel amp for high and mids......
dcfc0467ac6.jpg

JPerkMr954

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone with components have pictures of their mounting of the tweeters... just curious how it might have been done...

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Anyone with components have pictures of their mounting of the tweeters... just curious how it might have been done...
I'll have to snap some pics later, but I installed mine in the factory location.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how in the world did u get it into the factory location? i heard its behind the glove box?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
If I read it right, he was asking about mounting the tweeters, not the amp.