blows upgrade ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can the stock bose amp push a 500 watt 10"? I bought a cheapo 10 from the wally world just to get a lil bump in the trunk

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
You'll get distortion from clipped audio signals once you get up to a certain volume level. Distortion, not power, is the number one killer when it comes to speakers.

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that sux! oh well i guess i can spring for a cheap amp

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Well, you can still use the factory amp for now, just don't crank the volume too loud. It's when you crank it and cause distortion that can eventually destroy the speaker. At moderate volume with the bass level set centered or less on the hu, you should be ok.

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right on! do i just extend the stock wires back to the back where im mounting the 10?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That will work just fine but the stock amp doesn't like lots of power going to the sub. I'd honestly look into a cheap amp to get you by, I just cut the power to my stock sub when I added my L7 and the highs don't start clipping nearly as bad as when the sub was hooked up (stock sub tasks the majority of the amp's power). I'll check and see if I have a cheap mtx 400watt laying around and I can ship it out to you with those keys, I don't really have a use for it since I'm a moron and spending lots of money on new equipment.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right on! do i just extend the stock wires back to the back where im mounting the 10?

I would advise to not go through the trouble to wire your 10" to the original amp. When you get around to it, just get a line-out convertor and run the four wires that went to the original sub into it. Then run the two RCAs out into the new amp you'll be getting. Makes things way easier.

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That will work just fine but the stock amp doesn't like lots of power going to the sub. I'd honestly look into a cheap amp to get you by, I just cut the power to my stock sub when I added my L7 and the highs don't start clipping nearly as bad as when the sub was hooked up (stock sub tasks the majority of the amp's power).QUOTE]

Would anyone else recomend this. I'm about to add a 10/amp and would rather not have the stock amp working harder than it needs too. Squash that, I'll probably be removing my ten when family and stuff hauling.