Looking at a Tahoe with 120k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjdwyer23

Reaction score
Hey Everybody-
I'm going to look at a 2000 Tahoe 5.3l to replace my 94 GMC Sierra RCSB. My truck has pretty much become my office on wheels and I need more space, but I also want power to tow my Buick. What should I look for as potential trouble spots? I'm very meticulous and like to do my research before anything. The price is good and if I can get a good trade in on my truck I think I'm going to go for it. Anybody? Thanks for your help!

Matt

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mjdwyer23 said:
Bueller? I'm going to check it out today.

lol. Not a whole lot of activity here yet, obivously. Did you look at the Tahoe? Sorry for coming in late in the game, but really these are pretty decent trucks. You'll want to be leery of the LIM leaks that are common on the tahoes/yukons, but other than that it's pretty standard stuff. Make sure the heat and AC work. Listen for any bumps or clunks in the suspension, noises in the engine or transmission, etc. If you hear anything too obvious, ask about it. If the seller seems like he's being dishonest with you one bit, bail.

If its any consolation, I have a 2000 Yuke with 84K miles and it's flawless. I bought it a couple months ago for just under 13K, with a three year/30K mile warrenty. My father in law has a 02 Suburban with almost 150K on it, and it runs flawlessly too. These are generally well built trucks, but anything mass produced can have it's lemons of the bunch. Just make sure you don't get one of the bad ones. ;)

milleniumman

Reaction score
lol. Not a whole lot of activity here yet, obivously. Did you look at the Tahoe? Sorry for coming in late in the game, but really these are pretty decent trucks. You'll want to be leery of the LIM leaks that are common on the tahoes/yukons, but other than that it's pretty standard stuff. Make sure the heat and AC work. Listen for any bumps or clunks in the suspension, noises in the engine or transmission, etc. If you hear anything too obvious, ask about it. If the seller seems like he's being dishonest with you one bit, bail.

If its any consolation, I have a 2000 Yuke with 84K miles and it's flawless. I bought it a couple months ago for just under 13K, with a three year/30K mile warrenty. My father in law has a 02 Suburban with almost 150K on it, and it runs flawlessly too. These are generally well built trucks, but anything mass produced can have it's lemons of the bunch. Just make sure you don't get one of the bad ones. ;)

A new Yukon owner, what sre LIM's ??:confused2:

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, sorry...too much technical stuff. LIM stands for Lower Intake Manifold. The earlier pre-2000 Tahoes/Suburbans/Yukons/XLs and some of the 00-01s had alot of issues with the LIM gaskets leaking, which causes a whole host of problems. I think GM remedies most of the issues with the 02+ models, but I'm sure there are a few that still have problems. I was leery of this when I bought my '00 Yuke with 82K on the clock back in january, but as of right now, it's a fantastic truck. I've had to do general maintenance like fuel filter, cabin air filter, oil changes, (piddly crap that you do with any car/truck) but thats it.

Nothing major has gone wrong with it in the slightest, and it's been a very dependable vehicle. Kinda makes me regret paying sp much for the bumper to bumper 3 year/30K warrenty since it's such a good truck! But with the high miles it has, the warrenty does give me alot of peace of mind.

I'm no auto expert but if you have any other questions, shoot me a PM.