Verizon/ Onstar program?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone here using the Verizon Wireless/Onstar program for the Hands Free phone setup? I already have Verizon, so it seems to be an easy upgrade, but was wondering if anyone had actually used it yet and how it works (quality wise)? Biggest bummer is that I would have to almost double my current cell package from $39/mo to $69/mo, plus I would have to renew my Onstar for 2 more years after the first year free expires...but I like how I don't have to add or modify anything to the truck to get it working.

On the other hand, you guys that have the Lockpick/Bluetooth setups, how do they work for you? My biggest negative on that approach is that you have to use an external microphone, not the built in Onstar mic...my last two hands free systems I have had with the external mic, the sound quality sucked...everyone always complained that they could barely hear me and it sounded like crap...which would force me to pick up the phone and hold it, totally rendering the hands-free part moot! And with a 6 speed GTO, it sucked even more...

I am exploring my options to go hands free, hoping you guys can give me some personal experience with these setups...my 2 year renewal is upon me, planning on getting a Bluetooth phone upgrade any day now. Any suggestions as to which phone/hands free kit would be much appreciated...I've read about the Parrot and Motorolas on here, but am looking for personal experience if possible! Thanks!

ChiTownTimmay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was unaware that you needed to keep Onstar active in order to use the Verizon calling feature, but I guess I should know these things since I work for Verizon! :) I like the hands free thing....I like it a lot better in my Acura TL since it has the bluetooth built in and am still scratching my head as to why GM didn't implement this into their vehicles. It's a toss up for me. I have about 25 more minutes left on my initial calling thing, but I also have a number of bluetooth headsets that I use on my personal cell. I like the hands free calling option, but there are some things that are keeping me away from it. 1.) No caller ID. It shows what number you are calling on the DIC but it doesn't show what number is calling you....that would be a great feature. 2.) I have to speak each number I want to call, unless I already have them stored in the phonebook. I like being able to just dial or look someone up in contacts. So, to each his own I guess, but I'm not 100% sold on it just yet.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, they don't offer Bluetooth, because that would basically end all subscriptions to Onstar for this service...but I think they need to listen to the consumer and go with a Bluetooth oriented product...that's where the demand is.

And yes, I agree with you on the No Caller ID issue, that is a negative...as is the requirement to speak the full number each time (other than your saved ones)...

Does anyone use a Parrot or Motorola kit with the external microphones? Wondering about sound quality most of all...I don't think the Onstar/Verizon system is worth the bundles of extra money it would cost me, at least the way it is set up right now.

ChiTownTimmay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kpanza said:
Well, they don't offer Bluetooth, because that would basically end all subscriptions to Onstar for this service...but I think they need to listen to the consumer and go with a Bluetooth oriented product...that's where the demand is.

And yes, I agree with you on the No Caller ID issue, that is a negative...as is the requirement to speak the full number each time (other than your saved ones)...

Does anyone use a Parrot or Motorola kit with the external microphones? Wondering about sound quality most of all...I don't think the Onstar/Verizon system is worth the bundles of extra money it would cost me, at least the way it is set up right now.

Onstar is trying to do the same thing now with navigation.....they want to charge an ADDITIONAL twenty something dollars per month on top of the already existing Onstar subscription fees to get turn by turn directions....with no screen. If any of you went to the auto show when they were in your respective towns you should have seen the Tahoe with the Onstar presentation....at least that's what they had at the Chicago show. They're trying to suggest buying that service over the $2,000 factory nav option...I guess I just figure if i'm spending that much money on a vehicle what's another 2g's for the nav option.

My buddy uses the Moto bluetooth speaker that clips to his visor and to be honest, I can't tell the difference between him using that speaker and being on the phone itself. They've come a long way with it.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting...I had a Motorola kit in my GTO, and the microphone really sucked...most people would not be able to hear me, or just barely...I had to yell loudly for them to hear me, which was annoying as hell. Of course, the car was not exactly quiet, with Flowmaster Super 40s and lots of 6 speed/gear whine, but even when I clipped the mic to the visor, they said it still sucked.

The Tahoe is like a bank vault compared to the GTO...so maybe it would work better...and hopefully the mic quality has improved? I think that is the way I am going to go...get a Bluetooth Phone, get the Lockpick and a hands free kit...it's not like I talk on the phone all the time when driving, but when I do get a call, I like to go hands free and not be one of the morons squawking on the phone and driving like an idiot... :)

p26963

Reaction score
Dude... you using the Onstar hands free calling service or a bluetooth kit? If BT, which kit are you using?

Questions, questions, questions. :)

I'm using it and I love it, now my Tahoe is a cell phone on wheels and the sound quality is good and I set it up so it will ring through to the truck if I don't pick up the cell phone.

Andy4639

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tahoe Cell Phone

I have the Tahoe setup with hands free calling already with no mods. It's a standard feature on the LTZ. You buy the minutes and it's all there.
I to had to up my Onstar to keep from loosing my minutes. If you are already a verzion member then you can have the Tahoe added like another phone in a family pack.
I just don't like the voice actavation part it sucks never get's the right number.
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

hphansen

Reaction score
Verizon

When you added the Tahoe as another phone on your Verizon plan did they (verizon) require you sign a contract for that phone (tahoe)? I'm very interested, but i dont want to sign yet another contract with Verizon. I don't mind keeping the Onstar active as I would anyway. Not sure about you guys but my insurance discount almost pays for the onstar yearly. But i have to prove to them every year that the service is active.

Thanks -