Getting subs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that tomorrow I'm going to end up ordering a Rockford Fosgate p500.2 amp. If all goes well and I get that, I'm looking into a pair of Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 3 12"s subs. The amp is rated for 500 watts rms, and I can bridge it to run a 4ohm load 500w rms to the two subs.

My question is this. Do you tend to put more power through your subs than it's rated for? Because right now I would have the rated power of the amp and subs matched which seems uncommon based on alot of what I see in person and on the net. I notice alot of people putting more power through their subs than they're rated for. I'm not the kind of guy who likes his music overshadowed by bass, so 500watts will probably be plenty since those good ol' Bose speakers will never keep up if I pushed the subs towards their limit. I'd just like some opinions. What do you think of the setup in general?

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it all depends. efficiency on amps is a factor too becuase it may say 1,000 watts rms but may have a 30 amp fuse in it... im not totally familiar with the RF Stage 3s but i would say a tad bit bigger amp. it all depends on your likings. if you are open to other amps, take a look at Hifonics, i highly recomend them, i have a 1 and 4 channel in my tahoe by them

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll look into other amps for sure. At the moment I have a bid on the RF amp on ebay and if I won it tomorrow, it would be one hell of a deal for that amp. I can also get a good deal on those subs I mentioned. Hopefully since I have no 3rd row seats now, I'll get a nice box that can still make some sound.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hifonics is definatly a great brand. i would look into a custom box or building your own if you go with those subs, most prefabs wont be best for them.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lost that ebay bid because the seller had a phony account and kept outbidding me to jack up the price. So I'm going to order the RF Stage 3s instead. Hopefully I'll get around to it tomorrow. Amp choices are still open, but I did find an RF Punch 550.2 on techronics.com for only $175. And I'll get my box custom made for sure. I'm just always a much bigger fan of bringing in my own amp/subs because better deals can be found on better brands on the net than what they usually offer in-store where I live.

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lost that ebay bid because the seller had a phony account and kept outbidding me to jack up the price. So I'm going to order the RF Stage 3s instead. Hopefully I'll get around to it tomorrow. Amp choices are still open, but I did find an RF Punch 550.2 on techronics.com for only $175. And I'll get my box custom made for sure. I'm just always a much bigger fan of bringing in my own amp/subs because better deals can be found on better brands on the net than what they usually offer in-store where I live.

www.jlaudio.com

www.reaudio.com

not to familiar with re audio but I've heard them before

also check out www.realmofexcursion.com if you want to see JL and RE subs in action

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JL is too pricey, good but same results can be had for less.

Most of the Rockford amps have a birth sheet. This tells the actual power output at which voltage before it is boxed. With new efficiency designs fuse ratings are pretty much a rough estimate.

I have an RE Audio 8" sub in a home made tube and no one that has heard it believed it was an 8 let alone 1. Thats 200 watts sub back port forward. Its Sony so maybe not even that...lol it's very noticeable bass and great output for metal and rap.

Enclosure and listening preference is key here. SPL or SQ is also a factor. What do you want from the subs?

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do you plan to install them? sealed? ported? how much room do you have? how is your electrical?

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I just ordered this:
4106.jpg

http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4106

It's an RF p550.2 that was recently discontinued, so all of the internet retailers are trying to get rid of them. Only $165. I'll order the two Rockford Stage 3s for only $190 if they are still up next week.

Wrenchguy, I want something that will be alot louder and sound alot better than my current Infinity Basslink T that I have:

Yukon5.jpg

Also, I'm looking for something that's going to have far better excursion capabilities. For example, the Basslink is almost too loud at 50hz, but you can't even hear it hardly at 30hz. It's extremely pitchy if that's the right word. And the stupid plastic enclosure that it's made in vibrates like no other at almost any frequency.

Polecat, I'm going to go with a ported enclosure. I'll probably get one custom built so it can be tuned at a low frequency so everything will hit nice and low. I'm running an line-out converter at the moment from the wiring that would have gone to the original Bose sub, which I took out. I would run the two RCAs that come out of the LOC to the amp like i do with my Basslink right now. One day I plan to get an Alpine HU, so I'll take those RCAs and run them from the pre-amp on the HU instead and take out the LOC altogether.

I've got plenty of room. My 3rd row seats are sitting in my attic and I will never put them back in the truck again. I should sell those. So now I have alot of room behind my 2nd row. But I'd rather not take up my entire cargo area.

For now, I'll tell the audio shop to put a power cap on my system while they re-fit it with 4awg wiring. I read the thread about how good the big-3 upgrade is, but I can't spend that much money until this summer probably.

Last edited:

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JL is too pricey, good but same results can be had for less.

Most of the Rockford amps have a birth sheet. This tells the actual power output at which voltage before it is boxed. With new efficiency designs fuse ratings are pretty much a rough estimate.

I have an RE Audio 8" sub in a home made tube and no one that has heard it believed it was an 8 let alone 1. Thats 200 watts sub back port forward. Its Sony so maybe not even that...lol it's very noticeable bass and great output for metal and rap.

Enclosure and listening preference is key here. SPL or SQ is also a factor. What do you want from the subs?

same results?

my 2 w6 12's smoked 8 10" subs at last years sound comp...he hit a 145 db i hit a 147 db...

I ran them in my old tahoe, and he was running his in a tahoe sport...

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I just ordered this:
4106.jpg

http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4106

It's an RF p550.2 that was recently discontinued, so all of the internet retailers are trying to get rid of them. Only $165. I'll order the two Rockford Stage 3s for only $190 if they are still up next week.

Wrenchguy, I want something that will be alot louder and sound alot better than my current Infinity Basslink T that I have:

Yukon5.jpg

Also, I'm looking for something that's going to have far better excursion capabilities. For example, the Basslink is almost too loud at 50hz, but you can't even hear it hardly at 30hz. It's extremely pitchy if that's the right word. And the stupid plastic enclosure that it's made in vibrates like no other at almost any frequency.

Polecat, I'm going to go with a ported enclosure. I'll probably get one custom built so it can be tuned at a low frequency so everything will hit nice and low. I'm running an line-out converter at the moment from the wiring that would have gone to the original Bose sub, which I took out. I would run the two RCAs that come out of the LOC to the amp like i do with my Basslink right now. One day I plan to get an Alpine HU, so I'll take those RCAs and run them from the pre-out on the HU instead and take out the LOC altogether.

I've got plenty of room. My 3rd row seats are sitting in my attic and I will never put them back in the truck again. I should sell those. So now I have alot of room behind my 2nd row. But I'd rather not take up my entire cargo area.

For now, I'll tell the audio shop to put a power cap on my system while they re-fit it with 4awg wiring. I read the thread about how good the big-3 upgrade is, but I can't spend that much money until this summer probably.

caps are pointless IMO, not worth the money, might as well buy a seprate battery for you system, huge difference

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'm changing my Big 3 cables. I can sell you the Alt to battery run and chassis to engine run for 30 bucks. Thats soldered and heat shrank. I can throw in the extra piece for a battery ground also. If you have time to wait just a bit for em.

I would do 1 15 ported. With that power range you would get good results from it. 3 cubes at 35 hz would be a good goal. Sub up port back works very good in these cabins. You will definitely be happy.

The new HU will definitely give you awesome results and subwoofer control.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same results?

my 2 w6 12's smoked 8 10" subs at last years sound comp...he hit a 145 db i hit a 147 db...

I ran them in my old tahoe, and he was running his in a tahoe sport...

Hes didn't say he was trying to put up numbers.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
caps are pointless IMO, not worth the money, might as well buy a seprate battery for you system, huge difference

Yes that amp is not a problem for stock stuff. Just do the big 3 and your all set. Maybe just an upgraded battery but no need for second with that set up

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I wont do the cap then. But I will have to stick with the stock batt and batt wiring for a while. Wrenchguy I read your post regarding just getting 15". Is a high end 15" going to be louder than two 12"s? Also, I just looked up a Rockford Fosgate T1 15" which takes 600w rms and it's $275 on techronics.com. I'm really leaning towards the two Punch Stage 3s though. I would be getting two of these for just $190 keep in mind:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/prod...y_id=11&item_id=108289&locale=en_US&p_status=

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I wont do the cap then. But I will have to stick with the stock batt and batt wiring for a while. Wrenchguy I read your post regarding just getting 15". Is a high end 15" going to be louder than two 12"s? Also, I just looked up a Rockford Fosgate T1 15" which takes 600w rms and it's $275 on techronics.com. I'm really leaning towards the two Punch Stage 3s though. I would be getting two of these for just $190 keep in mind:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/prod...y_id=11&item_id=108289&locale=en_US&p_status=

Depends on the enclosure. Are you gonna make one or buy a prefab?

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think a good 15 sub up port back will satisfy. Its gonna be louder than the last setup. You cant get insanely loud with 600 watts.

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score

also keep this in mind...when purchasing an amp...it may say it's pushing 1000 watts..and it's a 400 dollar amp then its more than likely pushing 400 watts, so I've always been told that you pay $1 per watt...so keep that in mind when looking for amps

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the enclosure. Are you gonna make one or buy a prefab?

highly recommend a custom box...prefabs are okay...but nothing compared to what a custom box can do...trust me I've done it, and if you do go with a prefab try and get one that is made by the company your subs are...

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also keep this in mind...when purchasing an amp...it may say it's pushing 1000 watts..and it's a 400 dollar amp then its more than likely pushing 400 watts, so I've always been told that you pay $1 per watt...so keep that in mind when looking for amps

Yeah some amps are phony about displaying their wattage. But that's usually low-end stuff like you see in Wal-mart. I always look closely for the numbers. The amp I ordered does indeed put out 550rms when bridged at 4ohm, which is what I would run with two DVC 4ohm subs. I'll be sure to get a custom box made. I don't want to buy a fre-fab.