Dam don't get to used to a channel on XM!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
I am renaming this, don't get used to XM radio.

I am not happy about the events that are playing out right now with XM, these are dark days for XM. Say good by to deeper play lists and hello to pay FM. The part that really sucks is in order to listen to all of the XM and SIRIUS channels you will need a new radio, or you will be stuck with ala carte, this just ala sucks!:mad2: :mad2:

From wsj.com

Sirius-XM Gets Antitrust Approval
By SARAH MCBRIDE and JOHN R. WILKE
March 24, 2008 3:23 p.m.

The Department of Justice approved the merger of satellite radio companies Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. and XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc., marking a big step forward for a long-running Wall Street cliffhanger that comes more than a year after the deal was struck.

The merger also requires approval from the Federal Communications Commission. While it is unlikely that the FCC will go against the Justice Department's ruling, it has the power to impose conditions that might make the controversial merger slightly more palatable to the groups lined up against it. A ruling from the FCC is expected in coming weeks.

Still, the hardest work could lie ahead for the two companies as they work to meet the high expectations among both subscribers and for a combined company that faces still competition from traditional broadcasters, iPods, mobile phones and other emerging ways for consumers to consumer music and other programming.

The companies proposed their merger in February 2007, when it was considered extremely ambitious, largely because it was seen as creating a satellite radio monopoly that regulators would be unlikely to approve. Since then, however, the companies have argued that the satellite radio services compete not just with each other, but with all kinds of audio entertainment, starting with regular radio stations.

Now, Sirius and XM will have to prove that their merger will lead to all the benefits they outlined as they sought approval. Some will be fairly easy to implement. For example, the companies promised tiered pricing, allowing consumers who listen to just a few channels discounted rates. Currently, each service costs $12.99 a month.

But other promised changes might prove trickier. For example, Sirius and XM said their subscribers would be able to receive programming from either service, without having to purchase a new radio receiver. Currently, each service is incompatible with the other company's receivers.

Although a few channels from the other service could be added fairly quickly onto each company's satellites, more than a handful would require some creative engineering solutions. The companies say they have been working on the appropriate technology and expect full a la carte selection within one year.

Shareholders in both companies also expect a combined satellite radio service to deliver savings that would improve each company's financial picture. Both companies lose millions of dollars each year as they struggle to build subscriber growth while meeting extraordinarily high fixed costs, such as launching satellites.

As one company, the satellite radio business could eliminate duplicated channels, such as the similar music channels each offers. It would be rid of the bidding wars that led to extraordinary price tags for talent such as Howard Stern and Major League Baseball. Back office staffs could be combined and cut, along with marketing budgets, research budgets, and the like.

SourDiesel

Reaction score
Why dont you just download your music illegally and use an ipod like the rest of us?

SourDiesel

Reaction score
I download music, but I prefer to do it legally.

I have over 2000 songs.. $2k worth of music. I bought maybe 4 songs? I only buy the ones I cant find.

at the age of 11 I was using napster and had over 500. If there was no such thing as MP3 / P2P sharing I wouldnt be listening to music I could tell ya that much. I'm poor!

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have over 2000 songs.. $2k worth of music. I bought maybe 4 songs? I only buy the ones I cant find.

at the age of 11 I was using napster and had over 500. If there was no such thing as MP3 / P2P sharing I wouldnt be listening to music I could tell ya that much. I'm poor!

I am looking at getting an Itouch as it surfs the net and plays music too, I love the fact that I can have all internet functions without hauling my laptop around, so now I have to save my pennies.

SourDiesel

Reaction score
I am looking at getting an Itouch as it surfs the net and plays music too, I love the fact that I can have all internet functions without hauling my laptop around, so now I have to save my pennies.

Well unless your on a wireless network you're not going to be able to surf the net.. dont forget that.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well unless your on a wireless network you're not going to be able to surf the net.. dont forget that.

only way to get out of that is with an Iphone. if im not near a wireless network, mine connects to the edge network. but the Itouch is still very nice when it comes to ipod ability. :cool2:

SourDiesel

Reaction score
only way to get out of that is with an Iphone. if im not near a wireless network, mine connects to the edge network. but the Itouch is still very nice when it comes to ipod ability. :cool2:

Yeah Itouch is nice.. Im currently on a family plan with cingular (paying $10 a month) we have ALOT of minutes since my mom uses it for buisness and we also have unlimited text..

If i were to buy the iphone I'd only be paying an extra $20 a month for the data... So needless to say I'm getting one, lol.. I just dont have $400.. Im gonna wait til the price drops because everyone knows it will

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Itouch is nice.. Im currently on a family plan with cingular (paying $10 a month) we have ALOT of minutes since my mom uses it for buisness and we also have unlimited text..

If i were to buy the iphone I'd only be paying an extra $20 a month for the data... So needless to say I'm getting one, lol.. I just dont have $400.. Im gonna wait til the price drops because everyone knows it will

Yeah I have an I touch in my sights so I can always surf the net!

SourDiesel

Reaction score
Yeah I have an I touch in my sights so I can always surf the net!

No.. you wont be able to always surf the net.. you have to be within 100ft or so of your wireless router at home or at a friends.. and even then most people have them protected so you'd have to get his WEP key and everything.. its a hassle, I say spring the extra money for an Iphone so you can have internet EVERYWHERE.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No.. you wont be able to always surf the net.. you have to be within 100ft or so of your wireless router at home or at a friends.. and even then most people have them protected so you'd have to get his WEP key and everything.. its a hassle, I say spring the extra money for an Iphone so you can have internet EVERYWHERE.

i hope one day they get an iphone that is 3G compatable, if they do, i dont care what it costs im getting one. as the edge is SLOOOW.