Weak Keyless entry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outdrfan

Reaction score
I have a '99 Tahoe and the keyless entry remote is extremely weak. When I am in crowded parking lots or more than a couple feet away it will not work without holding the remote up to the windshield or near the engine. I have changed the battery a couple times to see if that would help, but no luck. Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity to the sensor on the vehicle?

clean95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had that same problem except mine is a 95 hoe, i took it to the dealer u can get the atenna replaced but i just put a aftermarket viper alarm, it could also be a bad remote that what the dealer told me..

bsamoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i also had that same exact problem so i felt it was time for the viper alarm + remote start. never been happier. works a quarter mile away lol and tells me if its locked or unlocked

slingblade

Reaction score
I know this sound funny and I was skeptical but if you place the remote under you chin and press the buttons it will increase your range. Not trying to jerk your chain but it worked for me and several other owners

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having the same issue on my 97...but before I fix this issue I want to save up for an aftermarket alarm/remote start.

However, in the mean time, I might have to try that trick...I assume it is just the fact that the remote is higher up in the air. So with that said, if you lift it above your head you might get even more range.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've heard it all.. even got an e-mail on cell phone tricks.. the one that led me to fnd out there is a free-411 (1-800-free-411) - the email said if you locked your keys in the car.. and someone at home has another transmitter that all you had to do was use your cell call their cell have them hold the transmitter really close to their phone and you hold you phone close to the vehicle and wha-la the doors will un-lock - i really really think this is not true

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i always known that one u jsut said yukalade, but yet i still have not tried. im thinking its a waste of my time and then ill look stupid doing it.. lol

JsnChristianson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might also try taking the key fob apart and cleaning the junk that accumulates over time on the circut board. The rubbery compound on the back of the button seems to melt over time and stick to the circut board. I have done this a few times over the years when I have had the same problem and it makes a noticable difference in restoring the oringinal range of the key fob.