Factory Amp???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IROC Skillz

Reaction score
I have a 99 Yukon and the speakers are cutting out (all new infiniti), do any of you know if these trucks are equipped with a factory amp and where its located???

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I wish I had the straight answer for you on this one. I started 3 threads about finding my amp, but havent found it yet...
I can only tell you where I DIDNT find my amp, so maybe you can start eliminating these possibilities on your truck.

under the front passenger seat
under the rear drivers side seat
in the back, opposite the jack storage department
behind the glove box ( just open the glove box all the way, and tweak it slightly and it will come completely off)
behind the head unit itself, near the cross-frame bar
in the center console, usually hidden beneath the storage box ( i hear this is accessable from underneath, so remove the whole console to look)

I guess ( for me anyway) there is an amp that runs the front speakers, and one for the rear speakers. They are about the size of a paver brick, and usually grey-ish or black in color.

maybe here:

Attachments

• normal_854810.JPG
    normal_854810.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 34

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would u think a 95 is the same as your 99?? bcuz i dont think in my 95 that they are hooked up to an amp at all.. and i say this is bcuz all my interior got ripped out and i never never found anything like a paver or to me looked like an amp.. i did find a little black box that was under the drivers front seat between that plastic covering and the metal seat part that bolts to the floor. but nothing was hooked up to it(speaker wire).. but it had like a postive input and negative input and such.. i have no idea what it was for but it was probably the size of (lenght x width x hieght) 4 inches x 1 inch x 1 inch.. i dont think it was an amp thooo..

mygreen98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if all the speakers cut out then its a wiring problem. the only factory amplified speakers are the rear doors, if all the rest are also cutting out on you then you have a wiring problem, prbably behind the radio. check for problem in radio harness. did u do the install or have it done elsewhere? were plugs cut off or plug adapters used ?

diehardgm

Reaction score
I have a 99 Yukon and the speakers are cutting out (all new infiniti), do any of you know if these trucks are equipped with a factory amp and where its located???

What ohm rating infiniti's did you get? I know they make 2 ohm speakers and that could be your problem.

Also, the amp is either under the driver seat or under the console depending on what option code you have.

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah if you didn`t have a single cd or tape player under the radio you may not have a amp.in my 95 yukon it is under the driver seat. and that little black box is the air pump for the lumbar bags in the seats.

diehardgm

Reaction score
Mine was a cassette only with pocket under radio and it had the amp under the driver seat. It was a cheap looking plastic box.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but it looked like speaker wire of somesort was connected to it.. bcuz my lumbar seats and whatnot work now and i took that thing out..

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For your consideration. On Feb 21, 2008, I posted a similar problem with few responses. My 1999 Yukon would display the radio as if it was working when I started it up but no sound came from the speakers. I thought either the radio or the amp (if it has one) were hooped. By accident I found that if I started the vehicle, then open and closed the drivers door the speakers worked. I then tried starting it and opening and closing the passenger door. Same result. By process of elimination I got to the lift gate. I opened the lift gate, depressed the switch and had someone start the vehicle. The speakers work fine. If I closed the lift gate and started the vehicle the probelm re-occurred.
The dealer had told me that they had heard of probelms with the ignition switch causing the same problem. My factory key was well worn. If i used it, the problem occurred about half of the time. If I used a duplicate key cut from the worn original, the problem happen nearly every time I started the vehicle.
I raised the lift gate switch so the lift gate fully engaged it when closed and had the dealer cut a new key from the VIN of the vehicle.
Not sure which one fixed the problem but works fine now. I have gutted both a 99 Tahoe and 99 Yukon interiors and have not found anything I thought was an amp. I don't think the Delco system has one.
Hope this gives you some success.
Regards
Tom G.

crowdogg

Reaction score
amp location

This should help treepete and others who have not found the factory amp.
Through my research, I have found that only the rear door speakers are amplified. I have a 2000 Tahoe Z71 (old body style) and I have the same problem as many others.
When I bought my truck used, last year, none of the speakers worked. I discovered that the deck needed the code to operate. So I called a dealer got the code, and then the deck worked. Well, none of the speakers worked still.. hmm... So I started taking speakers out and the rear roof speakers were the problem. The previous owner must hve had a custom stereo and subs and **** in there. The wires were spliced and a piece of the wire was shorting out on the roof metal. So i cut it, and they worked. all but the rear door speakers that is.
So now, I had time today, and started researchin and digging around the truck. I found my amp! it is under the dash, above the gas pedal kind of, and under the stereo kind of. if that makes sense. It is about the size of a brick, a little narrower. It has a wire harness into it with 10 wires if I remember right. it has the wires colors of white and tan, and red and tan for the rear doors, and the input colors of yellow, brown, dark and light blue for the rear speakers. and it has an orange which i presume to be power, and black ground.

I will make a new post with all the info I have.

Last edited:

LowHo97

Reaction score
Crowdogg you are the man! I've been tryin to find this factory amp for a minute & you post helped me ! Thanks man , good lookin'....

grantxurismo

Reaction score
For your consideration. On Feb 21, 2008, I posted a similar problem with few responses. My 1999 Yukon would display the radio as if it was working when I started it up but no sound came from the speakers. I thought either the radio or the amp (if it has one) were hooped. By accident I found that if I started the vehicle, then open and closed the drivers door the speakers worked. I then tried starting it and opening and closing the passenger door. Same result. By process of elimination I got to the lift gate. I opened the lift gate, depressed the switch and had someone start the vehicle. The speakers work fine. If I closed the lift gate and started the vehicle the probelm re-occurred.
The dealer had told me that they had heard of probelms with the ignition switch causing the same problem. My factory key was well worn. If i used it, the problem occurred about half of the time. If I used a duplicate key cut from the worn original, the problem happen nearly every time I started the vehicle.
I raised the lift gate switch so the lift gate fully engaged it when closed and had the dealer cut a new key from the VIN of the vehicle.
Not sure which one fixed the problem but works fine now. I have gutted both a 99 Tahoe and 99 Yukon interiors and have not found anything I thought was an amp. I don't think the Delco system has one.
Hope this gives you some success.
Regards
Tom G.

currently having the same problem with the speakers, i too have had the ignition issues, and had a duplicate made, but i am unsure if it was from my original or from VIN specs. i am testing it out driving this afternoon with my original key to help see if that decreases the issue.

also does anyone have any luck fixing this issue by eliminating the 'amp' located above the gas pedal

and also could this issue (if related to the iginition) have anything to do with consistently burning out passenger lo-beam

Doggworld1233

Reaction score
my friend tahoegoboom wrote a write up on how to bypass the factory amp that is located above the gas peddle.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can I get a picture of this amp thats suppossedly located above the gas pedal? Im still on the search for my factoy amp that runs the front door speakers. I now need it to run some rear speakers I didnt buy yet...

in the 99 yukon with the Bose system, these are the most well hidden amps ever. I think mine is under the center console, under the CD changer in its own seperate compartment. someone please post a pic of the under the pedal amp, please.