'03 YUKON...Third Brake Light quit working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mark72501

Reaction score
hello..new here! recently my third brake light just quit working - no light at all. no soft glow, not some LEDs out and some working; just completely quit. Any ideas from anyone? I find it hard to believe it would have failed all at once. Where are the connectors/plugs for this located that i should check? other ideas?

Thanks!
Mark :)

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you try to pull the light off and test the lead connector for power? Just to make sure there isnt a break in the line. Check the fuse box ? any blown fuses?

fuse panel located at the end of the dash drivers side for starters.. also the fuse box under the hood drivers side.

mark72501

Reaction score
greengumby said:
did you try to pull the light off and test the lead connector for power? Just to make sure there isnt a break in the line. Check the fuse box ? any blown fuses?

fuse panel located at the end of the dash drivers side for starters.. also the fuse box under the hood drivers side.

Well I have looked at the fuse boxes...both locations...but couldn't find on the directory any that specifically said it was the third brake light (or whatever GM calls it specifically). I found some for brake/stop lights BUT logic would tell me that if the lower brake lights are working then it wouldn't be that. I wondered if that particular brake light was on a different circuit than the lower brake lights (i.e. different fuse).

Do you know of anywhere I can look on the web for directions on how to remove the light? My dad and I looked at it earlier tonight, actually, and couldn't see how to get it off. He's very vehicle savvy and said he wouldn't tell, but then again it's a tight squeeze (lift gate rear end) and hard to see with the glass opened. Maybe we just overlooked it.

Help!

mark72501

Reaction score
greengumby said:
i found a site with the actual part

http://www.txparts.com/servlet/the-780/3rd-High-mounted-stop/Detail

this will give you an idea on whats involved it looks like it comes apart from the inside of the truck look to see if there is a trim panel or something from the inside

i'l take a look at mine tomorrow when there is more day light and the temperature is alot better :)

oh okay, awesome. well i feel kinda stupid now but i realized i didn't look at it by opening the entire lift gate so that may give access to it. i'll look tomorrow or this weekend and see. i just can't figure the entire unit failing. it seems my experience (just in noticing it on other vehicles) is that bulbs/sections stop working but not the entire unit (i've noticed this on Escalades, for one, and on other vehicles w/ led 3rd brake units). That makes it seem like it came unplugged or something like that. Good idea to check the cable for power with a meter; I'll do that this weekend for sure. Any other tips, please let me know. I'd like to get that light working again. Thanks for your help thus far!

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there are 2 screws at the base of the light you must lift the gate filly not just the glass to get at them ..on mine i got this stupid plastic black cover trim gotta remove that first then you will see the two screws... looking at the link i sent you can see the screw holes so u can use that as a reference on where to look for the screws :)

mark72501

Reaction score
greengumby said:
there are 2 screws at the base of the light you must lift the gate filly not just the glass to get at them ..on mine i got this stupid plastic black cover trim gotta remove that first then you will see the two screws... looking at the link i sent you can see the screw holes so u can use that as a reference on where to look for the screws :)

hey...yeah, i did some checking on it this evening and got the thing removed. i have power to the unit but when i hooked the unit up directly to a vehicle battery for the purpose of testing it i couldn't get it to light so I have ordered another unit...$127 but I guess it's all I can do. The local dealer wanted $166. Thanks for your input and help...hopefully this solves the problem. if not, i'll post back and update.

mark72501

Reaction score
hey...yeah, i did some checking on it this evening and got the thing removed. i have power to the unit but when i hooked the unit up directly to a vehicle battery for the purpose of testing it i couldn't get it to light so I have ordered another unit...$127 but I guess it's all I can do. The local dealer wanted $166. Thanks for your input and help...hopefully this solves the problem. if not, i'll post back and update.

The new light came with the light itself, the rubber seal that goes around it, and also the short cable. So, I replaced all 3. At first it was still giving me fits (almost like a short somewhere) but after awhile it seems to be working fine every time now. So, that problem is solved! :clapping:
Thanks for the input, guys! :thumbsup: