I need some help with audio/electrical

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onlinediamond24

Reaction score
Last week I had an Alpine CD player installed in my 04 Tahoe LT. Today, I go to start the tahoe and the CD player doesn't come on, and I am getting all kinds of messages on my message center. When I start it, it starts normal...then it resets and says "unknown driver"...then "service 4WD" ...Then "service brakes"...etc etc. I turned the car off and contacted the place that did the install, but they insist it has nothing to do with it (of course). it is the only thing that has changed.

So, I have checked the fuses and all are fine. Could it be the relay they installed? Could it be the wiring harness they had to use?

One more question for the audio guru's. When everything was working, I was a bit disappointed in sound. I have 2 Alpine type R 12s in a vented enclosure, each with an alpine 500 Watt amp on them. This is the same setup and enclosure that was in my pathfinder other than the CD player. In the pathfinder it sounded amazing! In the tahoe, some notes are clean....but it doesn't hit near as hard. It is probably half as loud as it was before. The gains are all the way up, and the sub control on the CD player is all the way up as well. I could never turn it up that much before. I understand that the accoustics of the car have changed (this system was also in my 300ZX, and sounded great too), but what else could be so different?

Thank you for any and all of your help!

Brandon

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Try to have them replacethe databus interface and see if that helps. And have them check the polaritry of the subs to make sure they are in phase.

onlinediamond24

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Is it ok to drive it? I haven't since this happened. If not, is the databus interface something I can take to them for replacement? There is a little box they have installed with the CD player, I saw it yesterday when I was looking back there....is this the part you are suggesting is bad?

I checked the subs, they are in phase...

thank you again!

Last edited:

onlinediamond24

Reaction score
still not working

Ok, I switched out the databus interface....still have the same problem. Could it be the relay? Any suggestions?

onlinediamond24

Reaction score
Car Trends did the amps and subs (they did my pathfinder as well) and Best Buy did the CD player

I am not sure what the problem is with Car Trends, they say that the acoustics have changed and they don't have an answer....last time they spent all kinds of time making it sound just right. This time they could care less

zeokter

Reaction score
that sucks...

sounds like the F'ed up your electrical when they installed the alpine. Check to see if they left any wires exposed.. If not its prolly a bad interface. Do you know if they used pac 01 or a metra????

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just for giggles, go by Car Toys on 68th and memorial. have them double check.

Interiors will change the way it sounds, but you shouldn't need to crank the gains and bass, just to get mediocre output.

onlinediamond24

Reaction score
Car Toys....I used to go there a long time ago. I take it you are in Tulsa Polecat?

Here is what happened yesterday, Switched out 2 different Databus interface...still had same problem. I put the factory head unit in and everything is fine. They seem to think that all of their Interface units are bad, I kinda think the relay is bad. It is obvious that the problem is in something that was installed. He said that if the relay was bad, it would stick open and that it is not the problem. Any more suggestions? Thanks for all of your input so far

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stillwater, but know Rob Rice, the owner of Car Toys....used to be up there alot myself :)

onlinediamond24

Reaction score
I moved here from Stillwater, I come there every weekend for work. That place is getting big these days. Are you a student?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The databus interfaces that BB uses have been having problems. There was a recall on the part, so it may be possible that they still have a batch of the older models.

onlinediamond24

Reaction score
No sir, I'm 40 year young. :D I work for Kicker, Car Toys used to be our dealer.

Sweet!! I used to have a friend that worked for Kicker. Kendall Claybaker, you know him? He went to work at Audio Midwest for a while, then some place east of town. Not sure what he is up to these days.

I miss my Kicker system, It just got too expensive for me to keep up with all of it. You get any discounts you can pass on?? LOL

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL...no, sorry, can't. I even have all stock...LOL

Kendall, oh yea, I have worked here for 20 years in May, Kendall knows me. :)
Next time you see him, tell him Tracy, he'll know me. :) He's a great guy, see him often at church and around town.

onlinediamond24

Reaction score
Will do.... same goes if you see him. Tell Him Brandon said hi. I also kinda knew a guy that worked in the install shop, big tall guy.... he designed my enclosure for me when I had my 300ZX. Oh, and a guy in R&D...Mike Bush I think was his name. Everyone there was always really nice to me

I doubt I will ever buy any more stereo equip, this stuff is going on 5 years now. Any idea why I am having trouble getting as much sound out of it this time? The whole setup is the same, except the CD player (the old one was an Alpine as well).