2002 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncyukon30

Reaction score
Is anyone else having a funny noise while steering? It sounds like the steering wheel column is loose or something? thanks

Brisk

Reaction score
just about every 99-02 GM truck I have ever ridden in does it. Its just the steering shaft rubbing on something.

Krash

Reaction score
Clunk-type noise

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk-type noise coming from under the hood that also can be felt in the steering wheel. These conditions may be more noticeable when turning at low speeds on rough road surfaces.

Remove the intermediate shaft from the vehicle and lubricate the intermediate shaft with a Steering Column Intermediate Shaft Lubrication Kit, P/N 26098419.

Gapp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue in my '02. Took it in under warranty, and they did the fix. However, there was always a popping noise when turning right. Weird. They never did figure that out. (acknowledge it either)

Z71Heat

Reaction score
Yea my 00 Z71 had the same thing, the dealer lubed up the shaft and it went away, also if you have a click or popping noise, check your tie-rods and ball joints

ngdsracer

Reaction score
has anyone done this them selves? im good @ working on cars but i have never worked on a truck b4.... if i got a haynes or chiltons i think i can figure this out....

scarpi

Reaction score
My 02 Yukon had a clunking noise when turning the steering wheel. It turned out to be a factory recall. They replaced the steering shaft at no charge. Take it to your dealer!