Factory Nav

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Godti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Tahoe without Nav. I would like to get a factory head unit that has the touch screen nav. Are they easy to install? Can I program it myself, or do I need the dealer? Are there any downsides to these units versus the regualar 6 disc cd?

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you find a good deal on one let me know i'm also in the market to get one :)

and last i have heard from other owners it was easy to install and it did not need a trip to the dealership

:)

Godti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will keep you posted on price. Most ones that I have found on ebay say they come programmed or require a trip to the dealer to have it programmed to your vehicle.

Godti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, continued to shop on ebay for a head unit. There are some, but they say I have to have the RPO code Y91 which is the luxury stereo option. They also mention its the bose system. So, what I dont understand is I have the bose system (I think, there are bose badges on the door) but I do not have the Y91 code. So does that mean Im SOL? When I looked up the RPO codes, I found 2: UC6 and UQ7.

UC6:
RADIO AM/FM STEREO, SEEK/SCAN, RDS, MULTIPLE COMPACT DISC, AUTO TONE CONTROL, CLOCK, ETR

UQ7:
SPEAKER SYSTEM PREMIUM PERFORMANCE, ENHANCED AUDIO, BOSE

Can anyone shed some light on this, cause the factory navs are expensive. No sense in buying one if its not going to work.

groc97

Reaction score
I'm also in the market for one. Are there any live pics of their factory navigation out there?

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a simple plug and play for your Tahoe, choose a non-Y91 (also called non-lux) unit, such as this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-N...013QQitemZ230237509211QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

It will plug into your existing wiring. You will also need:

Navigation Disc
GPS antenna

They all sell individually on ebay, or sometimes as a package.

As for the Y91 (lux) units, you can purchase that one, but you will also need to purchase a Y91 lux amp to go with it. You will have to change some of the pins on the wiring harness to make it work. I went this route as it was supposed to be a better sounding stock system. I dont know if I can notice the difference.

Whichever way you go, if the nav unit (lux or non-lux) was installed in a different vehicle, you will have to have the previous VIN cleared and then it will mate with your vehicle when you install it. Otherwise, you will just get the "theft lock" display. Any dealer or shop with a Tech 2 programmer can do this for you.

Good luck on your choice!

mjbradeis

Reaction score
I also debated about installing the Factory Nav system, I ended up going with the Kenwood DNX7100 I love that it is a DVD player, bluetooth, ipod controls, backup camera, Sirius, and that it is a Garmin NAV. And I still have steering wheel control and OnStar.
It is alot more money but I felt it was worth the options.

Here is the DNX7100 on Ebay (I wish I found mine this cheap) http://cgi.ebay.com/kenwood-stereo-...ryZ79834QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:

Rons03Hoe

Reaction score

I have a 2003 Tahoe with no Nav unit and my 6 CD changer craped out on me and the dealer can only replace the unit for $400 + install instead I got a Nav unit from Ebay and it was plug and play. Now I just have to install another 6 CD changer slave so I can play cds without removing the map disk.

groc97

Reaction score
can you send the ebay link so i know what to look for? how much was it?

obfirefighter22

Reaction score
Hey for alittle run down of the rpo codes and non lux and lux(i just did alot of research as i put one in my truck. Ok on ebay olot of people will say atleast of the following:
Option 1
For vehicle with RPO Y91 or Y92...This is for the Bose LUX packages that come in escalades, denali, and some hummer H2's, but not all hummer H2's
Option 2
For vehicles with RPO UQ7 or UGA(i believe its UGA)...These are the vehicles with non lux Bose. These are the silverado's, tahoe's, etc etc..

The only difference in the non lux and the lux is that they have 2 different bose amps in the middle console. The LUX amp runs off smoother and sounds better supposedly(some people swear that its better, and ive heard people that upgrade them and say that they could tell a difference but that it wasnt like everyone made it out to be). Now thats not me saying that, and thats upto you.

The nav unit youll need is 15800000 By delphi if you have the UQ7. I just installed this into my truck. And the nav unit for the Y91 or Y92 is 15800001. There are other model numbers out there, but these are the 2 main ones.

If you feel compelled to upgrade to the LUX nav unit, then you can do this as well. But youll need to install the Bose LUX amp, and also get the LUX Nav unit. This requires alot more wiring, and alot more money. You can also install the 6 disc changer as well with either.

Now just look for one that says its compatable with your vehicle, the sellers i emailed insured me that even though the product number was the same for the head unit that it will still work, and i want to believe them because most of them sell tons of these units and know what they are talking about. I found one that was takin out of a vehicle as soon as the vehicle was pulled off the lot, they posted it as new...but when i got it it still had the vin stored. I just got done installing yesterday and have to wait to get it cleared at the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully this will help undersand alittle more. Oh yeah, look for the vss wire. Do a search of vss wire on here to better understand

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go aftermarket, You'll have a better radio overall, plus sometimes the OEM one cost just as much as the aftermarket ones.

oneclu

Reaction score
does anybody have any pics with the DNX7100 installed? also i have a 02 tahoe...how would i know if it will fit?

EZStreet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey for alittle run down of the rpo codes and non lux and lux(i just did alot of research as i put one in my truck. Ok on ebay olot of people will say atleast of the following:
Option 1
For vehicle with RPO Y91 or Y92...This is for the Bose LUX packages that come in escalades, denali, and some hummer H2's, but not all hummer H2's
Option 2
For vehicles with RPO UQ7 or UGA(i believe its UGA)...These are the vehicles with non lux Bose. These are the silverado's, tahoe's, etc etc..

The only difference in the non lux and the lux is that they have 2 different bose amps in the middle console. The LUX amp runs off smoother and sounds better supposedly(some people swear that its better, and ive heard people that upgrade them and say that they could tell a difference but that it wasnt like everyone made it out to be). Now thats not me saying that, and thats upto you.

The nav unit youll need is 15800000 By delphi if you have the UQ7. I just installed this into my truck. And the nav unit for the Y91 or Y92 is 15800001. There are other model numbers out there, but these are the 2 main ones.

If you feel compelled to upgrade to the LUX nav unit, then you can do this as well. But youll need to install the Bose LUX amp, and also get the LUX Nav unit. This requires alot more wiring, and alot more money. You can also install the 6 disc changer as well with either.

Now just look for one that says its compatable with your vehicle, the sellers i emailed insured me that even though the product number was the same for the head unit that it will still work, and i want to believe them because most of them sell tons of these units and know what they are talking about. I found one that was takin out of a vehicle as soon as the vehicle was pulled off the lot, they posted it as new...but when i got it it still had the vin stored. I just got done installing yesterday and have to wait to get it cleared at the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully this will help undersand alittle more. Oh yeah, look for the vss wire. Do a search of vss wire on here to better understand

Nice post ob, I am in the market for one of these and that was great info