Brakes Squeaking! 07 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 1,500 miles on my 07 Yukon and now every once and a while when I mildly apply my brakes it squeals really load. It is intermittant though. Should I take it to the dealer or is this a common issue that will work itself out.

OSU_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it happen on the first few stops after you depart? Or on the first couple of stops after a rain? Sometimes the pad material takes some amount of heat input before they operate as intended, and a couple of very light stops right after you first drive it can make them chirp as a result. Mine do it easing down my drive when I first leave but it goes away after the first normal brake stop. Same result if they're wet or the rotors have some surface corrosion as a result of moisture. They can get that way just sitting overnight after being wet.

AAHTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OSU_Tahoe said:
Does it happen on the first few stops after you depart? Or on the first couple of stops after a rain? Sometimes the pad material takes some amount of heat input before they operate as intended, and a couple of very light stops right after you first drive it can make them chirp as a result. Mine do it easing down my drive when I first leave but it goes away after the first normal brake stop. Same result if they're wet or the rotors have some surface corrosion as a result of moisture. They can get that way just sitting overnight after being wet.

I've got a 07 Tahoe (17000 mi) and mine does it while backing out of the garage but stops after a couple of stop signs.

Hey OSU_Tahoe, what's the OSU stand for?

ockevin

Reaction score
The pads need time to warm up, then the squealing will go away.

yukc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems that way. Everytime I go to lunch it squeeks all the way threw the parking stucture then is fine after a few minutes. So annoying cause it is so loud and a new car.

OSU_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm an Ohio State grad from the mid-80's and it was the first username I'd tried that wasn't already taken.

AAHTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OSU_Tahoe said:
I'm an Ohio State grad from the mid-80's and it was the first username I'd tried that wasn't already taken.

I had a feeling. :D I was born, raised and educated in CMH as well. Got tired of shoveling snow so the wife and I now live in Tempe, AZ. How about those BB Buckeye's!!:)

slowmobile

Reaction score
The brakes on my Yukon never squeaked and I have 14k on it. I read this thread yesterday and this morning I heard the worst squeak ever. It only did it once but at 5am it could have probably woken up the neighborhood. From what my friend has told me ( mechanic at Meineke for around 10yrs ), it is from the moisture. It was snowing yesterday and there was a lot of moisture. My other vehicle doesn't squeak, but when it rains it makes a horrible sound the first couple of times you step on the brake.

OSU_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all brake pad materials from the OEM's or within an OEM are the same. I worked in the chassis engineering group at GM at one point and we had more different pad materials than you could count. They all react differently to temperature, moisture, driving conditions, etc. I borrowed a Suburban from the proving grounds fleet once to tow my new boat home and nearly threw myself threw the windshield on the first stop: it had test pads on it that were extremely grabby when cold. There's always some compromise when selecting a pad material for the various driving conditions and vehicle configurations.

yukc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should see if the dealer will replace the pads then. It happens everytime that I drive for the first few minutes now. The weather doesn't seem to matter. When leaving for lunch on an 85 degree day. Or even going to work and it is 40 degrees in the morning. It is very consistent now.

yukc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the spaz dealer told me squeaking problems is a common problem. It is so funny the second I say my brakes are squeaking, he almost interupts me and quickly says, "we cant fix it". He says they all squeak because its a heavy vehicle and the pads have a lot of metal in it. He gave me a lot of BS I refuted but basically nothing he can do. Irritating...

Is everyone experiencing squeaking issues the first few minutes of driving and randoms squeaks here and there with the brakes?