Question about subs...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tattootrig

Reaction score
Hey, I have an 02 Tahoe and I am having an box made for under the rear seat (driver) for a pair of 10" Diamond audio subs. I was going to run the amp under the seat next to it (the rear passenger side). I have a few questions about it though. Is there going to be enough air under there for an amp? Also, has anyone run a set up like this? what are the good and bad points? And lastly, I have an additional sub (same 10" diamond audio)... would it be possible to replace the far rear speaker that is on the driver side and run my 10" there instead?

Thanks,
Trigger

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
You'll have enough space for airflow for an amp. Drawback about building a box underneath there is that you won't be able to lay the rear part of the seat down all the way in case you ever need to. You can build an enclosure to go in the rear right panel where the factory sub is and still sound decent.
Also, if I understand your post correctly, you are thinking of two subs underneath the seat and one extra in the rear? If so, I wouldn't recommend it becuase you'll run into phasing issues and the output will be lower unless you use a time-alignment module to get the soundwaves from the front subs in line with the rear sub.

ayeplussjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, if I understand your post correctly, you are thinking of two subs underneath the seat and one extra in the rear? If so, I wouldn't recommend it becuase you'll run into phasing issues and the output will be lower unless you use a time-alignment module to get the soundwaves from the front subs in line with the rear sub.

How about having a sub enclosure underneath the middle storage compartment and an enclosure in the right rear panel where the factory sub is. Would there be any problem with that?

tattootrig

Reaction score
ayeplussjr, I think the biggest problem with that would be the amount of airspace needed for 2 10" in that area. I also have no idea where I would put the jack and everything else if I used up all that space and might be trading one problem for another. Also, I have not seen the storage compartment enclosure up close, so I don't know how much of the "box" I would loose.

JK. Thanks, I had not thought about the phasing issue.... I do have a test disk from dennon that does the in/out of phase test (among other things) that I might could use to help check it. I kinda ended up with 3 10" and was going to use one as a spare (if I managed to kill a sub). I was just thinking about using the space that was already there. How much do the time alignment modules run and is there one you recommend? A link by any chance? Thanks for the heads up about the phasing issue.

Trigger

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
How about having a sub enclosure underneath the middle storage compartment and an enclosure in the right rear panel where the factory sub is. Would there be any problem with that?
If the subs are not on the same plane or distance from the listener, they will not be in phase. How far apart will determine how far off the soundwaves will be. You won't notice a difference if the subs are close enough in-line (few inches, even a foot or so in some cases). The further apart they are in reference to the listener, the more degrees the soundwaves are going to be out of phase, and the less total output you'll have.
JK. Thanks, I had not thought about the phasing issue.... I do have a test disk from dennon that does the in/out of phase test (among other things) that I might could use to help check it. I kinda ended up with 3 10" and was going to use one as a spare (if I managed to kill a sub). I was just thinking about using the space that was already there. How much do the time alignment modules run and is there one you recommend? A link by any chance? Thanks for the heads up about the phasing issue.

Trigger

I've used the Earthquake Phase4 with decent success. Your Denon disk will let you know if the subs are in normal or reversed phase by 180*, but it won't tell you how many degrees the peak of the soundwaves are off by. You can use this module to delay the closer sub so that the soundwaves from all the sub-drivers reach the listening area at the same time for better output and reproduction. Should be able to pick one up for under $200.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

tattootrig

Reaction score
Onerad.. thanks for the pics. I will take a look at my application, but I think the amp I have might be a little too big. (running a diamond audio g3)