Backup Camera Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddyson05

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has installed an aftermarket navigation unit and been able to use the factory backup camera.

I have been told by numerous audio installation places that they could do the install but I would have to use the backup camera that came with the unit I purchase. I noticed a conversion plug for the rear dvd entertainment, but not backup camera. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

D

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you explain your reasoning a bit? I've heard of people wanting to add an aftermarket camera to their factory HU, but not the other way around. Why are you replacing your factory navigation with an aftermarket one? I'm just checking to make sure you know you don't have to in order to install aftermarket audio or something...

ddyson05

Reaction score
I am not really satisfied with the factory navigation unit in my z71. The nav is slow and new updates are infrequent and expensive. I figure if I am going to pay $300 plus to just unlock my unit(which is not 100% bug free), not including adding bluetooth capability or any other aftermarket add-ons would cost almost the same as an aftermarket install that will have better audio/visual controls. Atleast that's my thinking... any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

ddyson05

Reaction score
If i can ever figure out how to integrate everything and make the switch to aftermarket we'll talk. If thats the case I would suggest going with aftermarket!!!