HELP: Full Audio Rebuild!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r33p04s

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here I recently sold my car and moved into an '01 LT Tahoe. The speakers were shot and muddy and I decided to upgrade everything headunit, all 4 door speakers, 2 amps and throw a 12" sub in the back. Nothing over the top all Alpine, the headunit has 3 RCA outputs for the mono and 4-channel amp. I plan to mount the 2 amps under the rear seats and pull out half of the 3rd row and have a ported box back there. My question is I have never tackled a Chevy install (my last car was an Acura and that install was easy). With this I've done some research and I see I need a bypass for the factory amp :confused: , do I still need it even though everything will be new (new signal source new wires)? Also I see I need a bypass for Onstar (can I skip it since I don't want/use Onstar anyways?) and for the door chime? Also tips on how to pull the headunit, run the rca's, best places to run the power and best ways to run signal wires to each of the door speakers would be awesome. I know it's alot but the help would be appreciated :thumbsup:

CLIFF NOTES:
-full audio overhaul
-do I need any of the bypasses (amp, Onstar, other) if I do where can I get them
-how to pull headunit and door speakers/panels
-advice on where to run power, rca and signal wires
-any other tips to ease the install

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have an aftermarket Head Unit everything will be done from there audio wise. No bypass just RCA's to amps, power wire to amps, remote signal to amps, and speaker wire from amps to speakers.

You probably need the OnStar harness and I think the speakers for it are separate from the stereo. Someone will chime in to correct me though if I'm not right on the money!

I'm sure a harness is involved somewhere....lol

thekl0wn

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you'll lose the door chimes, and other audible warnings, etc., without the bypass module. Navone carries/makes some very nice equipment for the Chevy's that should fit your bill.

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doorchime on the '00-'02 comes from the BCM, only on the 2003 and up does it come from the driver speaker. And as for onstar, it shouldnt work anymore anyway.(analog)

headunit is an easy install and so are the speakers, there should be a post with somthing like "door panel removal help" just search for that i think JK was the Poster...

Good Luck with your new truck:cool2:

r33p04s

Reaction score
Thanks guys so basically get the harness from crutchfield plug it in run the new wires and everything should be good to go. So I'll still have the door chime regardless. Sounds good I should be tackling it this weekend with my brother hopefully everything runs smoothly. O yea where are the best places to run the wires for the power(where in the firewall do i get it through) and the wires to the speakers especially the rear doors? Thanks