Need help with new purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wildcat_1

Reaction score
Hey all, brand new here and have some questions regarding my impending purchase. I am currently weighing up the 2007 Expedition Eddie Bauer and the Tahoe LT3 (with or without the Z71) so any help you can give here would be greatly appreciated.

First question is I have priced up the following Tahoe LT3 and get my supplier discount on it. MSRP is $50,220.00 and total minus incentives (still need to add TTL) is $42,734.68. Compared with some peoples deals the supplier discount still leaves the cost quite high. What if anything can I do to bring this down more ?:

Options & Packages
Audio system with navigation, , AM/FM stereo with MP3 compatible CD/DVD player and DVD-based navigation, seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, Radio Data System (RDS), speed-compensated volume, TheftLock and voice recognition, plays CD or DVD in upper slot $2,250.00
Body, , liftgate with liftglass, power rear door system with rear-window wiper/washer $350.00
Cooling, , auxiliary transmission oil cooler, heavy-duty air-to-oil $95.00
Differential, , heavy-duty locking rear $295.00
Entertainment system, , rear seat DVD player, with remote control, overhead display, 2 sets of 2-channel wireless infrared headphones and auxiliary audio/video input jacks $1,295.00
Luggage rack center rails $45.00
Rear axle, , 4.10 ratio $100.00
Rearview camera system $250.00
Seats, , heated second row $200.00
Sunroof, , power, tilt-sliding with express-open and close and wind deflector $995.00
Tire, , spare P265/70R17 $0.00
Tires, , P275/55R20 all-season, blackwall $0.00
Wheels, , 4 - 20" x 8.5" (50.8 cm x 21.6 cm) painted aluminum $1,195.00
Windshield washer fluid system, , heated $85.00
Wipers, , front intermittent, Rainsense $95.00

2nd question - I assume the NAV system gives you voice prompts through the stereo speakers but there is no voice commands where you can control the NAV by voice correct ? Also is this NAV based on teh Eclips NAV systems and if so anyway of incorporating XM Navtraffic ?

3rd Question - Anyone know if you can unlock the rear entertainment DVD to play multi region disks ?

4th Quesiton - I've heard about lane changing feature what is it or am I going insane here ?

5th Question - What range do you get from remote starter and can this be increased by adding a pager alarm or cell phone type hookup to the existing system ?

6th Question - I am looking at the bench seats for my needs. If I have these how flat do they fold ? I know they probably don't go into the floor for level load like the Expedition.

7th Question - I am looking at leasing this vehicle and was wondering what leases people have seen on this type of config

8th Question - What are the biggest things to look out for (problems) on these units ?

Finally, when is the best time to buy, now or wait until after April 2nd (end of this incentive and start of another) ?

Thanks so much, sorry about all the questions but am looking at buying ASAP and want to make sure I have all my ducks ion a row

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Wildcat_1 said:
Hey all, brand new here and have some questions regarding my impending purchase. I am currently weighing up the 2007 Expedition Eddie Bauer and the Tahoe LT3 (with or without the Z71) so any help you can give here would be greatly appreciated.

First question is I have priced up the following Tahoe LT3 and get my supplier discount on it. MSRP is $50,220.00 and total minus incentives (still need to add TTL) is $42,734.68. Compared with some peoples deals the supplier discount still leaves the cost quite high. What if anything can I do to bring this down more ?:

Options & Packages
Audio system with navigation, , AM/FM stereo with MP3 compatible CD/DVD player and DVD-based navigation, seek-and-scan, digital clock, auto-tone control, Radio Data System (RDS), speed-compensated volume, TheftLock and voice recognition, plays CD or DVD in upper slot $2,250.00
Body, , liftgate with liftglass, power rear door system with rear-window wiper/washer $350.00
Cooling, , auxiliary transmission oil cooler, heavy-duty air-to-oil $95.00
Differential, , heavy-duty locking rear $295.00
Entertainment system, , rear seat DVD player, with remote control, overhead display, 2 sets of 2-channel wireless infrared headphones and auxiliary audio/video input jacks $1,295.00
Luggage rack center rails $45.00
Rear axle, , 4.10 ratio $100.00
Rearview camera system $250.00
Seats, , heated second row $200.00
Sunroof, , power, tilt-sliding with express-open and close and wind deflector $995.00
Tire, , spare P265/70R17 $0.00
Tires, , P275/55R20 all-season, blackwall $0.00
Wheels, , 4 - 20" x 8.5" (50.8 cm x 21.6 cm) painted aluminum $1,195.00
Windshield washer fluid system, , heated $85.00
Wipers, , front intermittent, Rainsense $95.00

2nd question - I assume the NAV system gives you voice prompts through the stereo speakers but there is no voice commands where you can control the NAV by voice correct ? Also is this NAV based on teh Eclips NAV systems and if so anyway of incorporating XM Navtraffic ?

3rd Question - Anyone know if you can unlock the rear entertainment DVD to play multi region disks ?

4th Quesiton - I've heard about lane changing feature what is it or am I going insane here ?

5th Question - What range do you get from remote starter and can this be increased by adding a pager alarm or cell phone type hookup to the existing system ?

6th Question - I am looking at the bench seats for my needs. If I have these how flat do they fold ? I know they probably don't go into the floor for level load like the Expedition.

7th Question - I am looking at leasing this vehicle and was wondering what leases people have seen on this type of config

8th Question - What are the biggest things to look out for (problems) on these units ?

Finally, when is the best time to buy, now or wait until after April 2nd (end of this incentive and start of another) ?

Thanks so much, sorry about all the questions but am looking at buying ASAP and want to make sure I have all my ducks ion a row

The biggest problem is wiping the grin off of my face every time I drive it.
I don't think the Nav supports XM live traffic.

The third row seats do not fold flat, but I think they are more comfortable than the fold flat seats, and what happens when that electric moter burns out?

Remote start is about 200 feet.

I am biased toward Chevy as it has flex fuel capability and cylinder deactivation that helps save fuel.

ChiTownTimmay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No XM Nav traffic.

Lane changing feature (or at least the one I assume you're talking about it) is if you signal for a lane change you can do so without holding the turn signal up or down. Just flip it up or down real quick and the indicator flashes 3 times then turns off. It's a nice feature that I've actually gotten quite used to using.

Range is not the greatest on the remote start...only about 150-200 feet. Also, the default engine run time is set to 10-12 minutes and, at this point in time, is not configurable in the DIC.

Not sure what else I can contribute here other than I have a Denali, which could go pretty much heads up with an Eddie Bauer....I just like GM a lot better than Ford...personal preference. Good luck with whatever you choose.

genestoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2nd question - I assume the NAV system gives you voice prompts through the stereo speakers but there is no voice commands where you can control the NAV by voice correct?

If you program addresses or destinations into the address book and then add a voice name before leaving home you can give voice commands while in motion to the nav unit and it will calculate the route and start guidance. If you want to go somewhere else before that destination you can give it a voice command (again assuming it is in the address book) and the unit will add that as a waypoint and re-calculate and go there first, and once there will continue on to the final destination.

hyperlite91193

Reaction score
Wildcat 1,
I leased an LTZ with everything you listed, less the Nav, Entertainment and Rear Camera. I do have the:

Suspension: Autoride, includes bi-state variable shock damping and rear, air-assisted load leveling

Some people love or hat the Autoride. I really like it. Plus the load leveling is pretty sweet.

I pay $565/month total. It's a 3yr lease with 17,500 miles per year. I pre-paid for the extra miles. I'll get the money (or a portion of it... I forget) if I don't use the miles. So far I'm under on the mileage which is good, but we'll see by the end of the lease. If you are to lease, just be sure you have adaquate miles on your deal.... if not, you'll pay for it in the end, and it may hurt.

I can't vouch for the Ford Expedition. And I won't talk bad about Ford since I came from a '99 Ford Explorer. It was a great car. NOT one problem. Changed the oil and put 1 set of tires on it. Just filled it with gas and put126,000 miles on it.

As far as looks are concerned. I'd go with a Chevy. I didn't test drive the Expedition, since I wanted a Tahoe from the beginning. All I can say is that the Tahoe is AWESOME. I actually love everything about it. Not one complaint.

I personally don't enjoy anything about the buying/leasing process. I feel like I'm gonna puke or I want to tell the Salesman to just give me the best deal and stop jerking me around with the "I never do this, but for you I will" line! :)

Wish you the best!

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
hyperlite91193 said:
Wildcat 1,
I leased an LTZ with everything you listed, less the Nav, Entertainment and Rear Camera. I do have the:

Suspension: Autoride, includes bi-state variable shock damping and rear, air-assisted load leveling

Some people love or hat the Autoride. I really like it. Plus the load leveling is pretty sweet.

I pay $565/month total. It's a 3yr lease with 17,500 miles per year. I pre-paid for the extra miles. I'll get the money (or a portion of it... I forget) if I don't use the miles. So far I'm under on the mileage which is good, but we'll see by the end of the lease. If you are to lease, just be sure you have adaquate miles on your deal.... if not, you'll pay for it in the end, and it may hurt.

I can't vouch for the Ford Expedition. And I won't talk bad about Ford since I came from a '99 Ford Explorer. It was a great car. NOT one problem. Changed the oil and put 1 set of tires on it. Just filled it with gas and put126,000 miles on it.

As far as looks are concerned. I'd go with a Chevy. I didn't test drive the Expedition, since I wanted a Tahoe from the beginning. All I can say is that the Tahoe is AWESOME. I actually love everything about it. Not one complaint.

I personally don't enjoy anything about the buying/leasing process. I feel like I'm gonna puke or I want to tell the Salesman to just give me the best deal and stop jerking me around with the "I never do this, but for you I will" line! :)

Wish you the best!

I agree with absolutely loving the Tahoe, how ever fleasing as I call it is an expensive way to rent a car, an I personally wouldn't do it. I think it is funny how the salesman try to push a lease on you as soon as you walk in the door.

hyperlite91193

Reaction score
Yes, the good 'ol purchase vs. leasing debate will always be in existence. There are pros and cons to each.

The problem with Purchasing is that you have to put a hefty down payment so you’re monthly won’t kill you. Plus you’re praying you’re gonna have a reliable car once the factory warranty expires. And then you risk if it’s even worth anything once you’re ready to unload it. The good is that if you have a car that is realiable and you love to drive it and WANT to keep it for a long time, then Purchasing makes sense.

The problem with Leasing is that if you do decide to buy at the end, you’re gonna be paying more than if you would’ve purchased it from the beginning. But the advantage of Leasing (or the way I look at it) is that you walk away at the end and then get the latest model that comes out. No warranty issues (typically)… but in my case due to my mileage, I’ll be out of warranty during my lease, which really is a no-no when it comes to leases. The way cars are changing these days and with possible advancements in fuel economy, your current Tahoe/Yukon or any other big SUV out there may hit all of us fossil fuel lovers harder in the pocket. I live in Southern California and the prices are quite high. But Boo-Hoo, I can’t complain about it and none of us should. We knew what we were getting into.

Of course these are my personal opinions as I’ve been down both roads and have had good and bad experiences with Purchasing AND Leasing. It all boils down to what fits your particular needs, what you can afford, and if you can have any business write off advantages.

I wouldn’t say that one is better than the other (Purchase vs. Lease). They are completely different and both have there place.

08Tahoe

Reaction score
Avoid monthly payments all together....

hyperlite91193 said:
Yes, the good 'ol purchase vs. leasing debate will always be in existence. There are pros and cons to each.

The problem with Purchasing is that you have to put a hefty down payment so you’re monthly won’t kill you. Plus you’re praying you’re gonna have a reliable car once the factory warranty expires. And then you risk if it’s even worth anything once you’re ready to unload it. The good is that if you have a car that is realiable and you love to drive it and WANT to keep it for a long time, then Purchasing makes sense.

The problem with Leasing is that if you do decide to buy at the end, you’re gonna be paying more than if you would’ve purchased it from the beginning. But the advantage of Leasing (or the way I look at it) is that you walk away at the end and then get the latest model that comes out. No warranty issues (typically)… but in my case due to my mileage, I’ll be out of warranty during my lease, which really is a no-no when it comes to leases. The way cars are changing these days and with possible advancements in fuel economy, your current Tahoe/Yukon or any other big SUV out there may hit all of us fossil fuel lovers harder in the pocket. I live in Southern California and the prices are quite high. But Boo-Hoo, I can’t complain about it and none of us should. We knew what we were getting into.

Of course these are my personal opinions as I’ve been down both roads and have had good and bad experiences with Purchasing AND Leasing. It all boils down to what fits your particular needs, what you can afford, and if you can have any business write off advantages.

I wouldn’t say that one is better than the other (Purchase vs. Lease). They are completely different and both have there place.

and pay cash...then you are never upside down and never have to deal with a dealer again except for warranty service or to buy your next car.

slowmobile

Reaction score
Question 5, yes you can extend the range of the remote start with an aftermarket alarm. But it is it's own separate system so you are not extending the factory system, you're putting in a different system with a longer range (which I did when I first got the vehicle). Pagers for alarms are usually only one way receive, meaning they can't send a signal to the car to start it. Question 3, probably not. Usually the region code is not changeable on most dvd players in general. I have not seen one available yet and if there is I would be scared to send the nav deck into someone to flash it.