1.24 Amp Draw...help, Please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SPXTrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, my '96 has recently been giving me some trouble. Battery kept dying, and since it was 5 years old, I figured it was related to the age of the battery. New battery installed. Fast forward 1 month. I let the Tahoe sit for a week, and went to start it, and guess what? Dead Battery! Jumped it off, and took it to Advance Auto. They checked the battery, alternator and starter. All was fine. Then they did one extra little test:

With everything off, and the hood lowered so that the engine compartment light wouldn't come on, there was a 1.24 amp drain on the battery...before I go and start tearing the electrical system apart, has anyone here had this same problem? If so, what did you do to correct it?

It's driving me nuts, cause I gotta drive it every other day to keep the battery up. Not that that's a problem, but hey the weather's getting nice, and I'll probably spend more time in my convertible Cobra!

Any help and or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

SPX

diehrd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start pulling fuses while you have the draw being watched on the meter ..

HockeyHauler

Reaction score
I had an alternator test fine to find out that when everything was shut down it "bled" about the same amperage out (about the same as you have) out of the battery. What would happen was the alternator was acting as as a positive ground once it was shut off. That took a lot of searching and truly sucked!!

mightymouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem.
Come to find out it was the passenger side vanity
mirror light not shutting off.

jmcnair

Reaction score
I had the same problem on my 99 yukon. About same draw and everything. After two days of tests and fuse pulling it ended up being the security module for the stereo that the previous owner had the dealer add on as an option. Removed the module and everything is good since

SPXTrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DING! DING! DING! We have a Winner!

Mightymouse, 100% on the money. Went out the other night to get something out of the Tahoe, and I had my dome override turned on. Climbed in the passenger seat, and there it was...a faint glimmer of light! Lowered the visor, and lo and behold the hinge had cracked (probably from my damn GF yanking it around in all positions to check her hair and make-up) and the courtesy mirror lights were on.

I have no idea where to get a replacement part for this, so I stuck a pack of cigs above the visor and the light went out...

No more 1.24 amp drain!

YYYYEEEEEE HHHHAAAAAWWW!

Thanks again MM!

mightymouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mightymouse, 100% on the money. Went out the other night to get something out of the Tahoe, and I had my dome override turned on. Climbed in the passenger seat, and there it was...a faint glimmer of light! Lowered the visor, and lo and behold the hinge had cracked (probably from my damn GF yanking it around in all positions to check her hair and make-up) and the courtesy mirror lights were on.

I have no idea where to get a replacement part for this, so I stuck a pack of cigs above the visor and the light went out...

No more 1.24 amp drain!

YYYYEEEEEE HHHHAAAAAWWW!

Thanks again MM!

Hey, I can't be wrong all the time!

I did not think this was a common problem.

I am glad I could help.