Viper 5900 Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to upgrade my hoe to the 5900 I already installed the DEI valet with the GMBP bypasskit for my remote start using my oem remotes years ago when i got the hoe.

I'm thinking of getting this addon 508D Field Disturbance Sensor any other little goodies I should get for the hoe?

I would suspect that since they are both DEI products I would assume that the wiring would almost be identical on the hookups.

Any other suggestions or tips are always appreciated.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the motion (or proximity) sensors, but others will disagree due to a lot of falsing from them. If this is your first time using one, I would suggest setting the panic zone at least 6 inches to 1 foot INSIDE your window. This will avoid alot of falses from people walking by or looking in. Also, make sure to test the panic zone by closing all your windows, and just sliding your hand all over the outside of the car, INCLUDING your windshield. You will probably have to get a ladder for that. This is in case you have any cats, birds, etc, that slide down/walk down your windshield and set off your alarm.

Have you considered a tilt sensor and/or a shock sensor? DEI makes some pretty good ones.

Also, the GMDL-BP is awesome (I have it too), but if you have heated seats, the idatalink unit can be setup to turn on the heated seats whenever you want, at any given outside temp.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the motion (or proximity) sensors, but others will disagree due to a lot of falsing from them. If this is your first time using one, I would suggest setting the panic zone at least 6 inches to 1 foot INSIDE your window. This will avoid alot of falses from people walking by or looking in. Also, make sure to test the panic zone by closing all your windows, and just sliding your hand all over the outside of the car, INCLUDING your windshield. You will probably have to get a ladder for that. This is in case you have any cats, birds, etc, that slide down/walk down your windshield and set off your alarm.

Have you considered a tilt sensor and/or a shock sensor? DEI makes some pretty good ones.

Also, the GMDL-BP is awesome (I have it too), but if you have heated seats, the idatalink unit can be setup to turn on the heated seats whenever you want, at any given outside temp.

it comes with a shock sensor with the kit , I may actually get the proximity sensor cause the problem i get are stupid kids during the night twisting off and breaking little things on the truck. Like a missing fog light or mirror caps etc. the little things that just p!ss yah off .... thanks for the info i'm going to check into the things that were suggested

:)

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Some of the falsing from the 508D also comes from high temps. Try to place the sensor more towards the center and closer to the floor. The dash cavity can get hot in the summer time, and if placed in there, it can start falsing when the temps start to climb. Adjust it as OmarR suggested, test , and go from there. Test it with your windows up. Most decent window tint these days are metallized and will hinder the range of the prox sensors.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the falsing from the 508D also comes from high temps. Try to place the sensor more towards the center and closer to the floor. The dash cavity can get hot in the summer time, and if placed in there, it can start falsing when the temps start to climb. Adjust it as OmarR suggested, test , and go from there. Test it with your windows up. Most decent window tint these days are metallized and will hinder the range of the prox sensors.

ok thanks ! ..what about under the cup holders in that compartment ? would that be a good place to store the sensor?

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
ok thanks ! ..what about under the cup holders in that compartment ? would that be a good place to store the sensor?

Underneath the cupholders is a decent spot. Should give you decent coverage, especially if you leave the any windows vented while parked.

Drumscum

Reaction score
The prox sensors do false alot ...personally i would only recommend them for convertibles, open top jeeps, or classics but of course that depends on your situation. I run an audio sensor this way i can have the protection of high frequency (breaking glass/keying) without the amount of false alarms a prox can give. Dont get me wrong proxs will certainly detect however there will always be some sort of falsing. If you do decide to get a prox ~ depending on the model alarm your doing DEI does integrate zone selection into some of their alarms ...which basically means it will allow you to turn specifics zones on or off from the remote itself such as your door pins, shock sensor, prox....and so on

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The prox sensors do false alot ...personally i would only recommend them for convertibles, open top jeeps, or classics but of course that depends on your situation. I run an audio sensor this way i can have the protection of high frequency (breaking glass/keying) without the amount of false alarms a prox can give. Dont get me wrong proxs will certainly detect however there will always be some sort of falsing. If you do decide to get a prox ~ depending on the model alarm your doing DEI does integrate zone selection into some of their alarms ...which basically means it will allow you to turn specifics zones on or off from the remote itself such as your door pins, shock sensor, prox....and so on

Yah i was thinking of a prox sensor since i mostly need something that will keep the idiots from hanging around my truck and taking crap off it ...