Looking to buy a Yukon and have questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcovell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a 2007 Yukon (like the styling better than the Tahoe) and have some questions. First of all I am looking at the standard length Yukon with the 5.3.

I currently own a 2001 Ford SuperCrew 4x4 that I am not getting rid of and love. It just recently hit 111,000 miles and still running well even with the abusive offroading and horrible freeway traffic in San Diego.

I went and checked out the Ford Expedition and although not bad it just did not seem to have the quality of the Yukon, the interior felt cheap and the engine was less powerful with worse EPA ratings.

I test drove a 2007 Yukon and it felt very solid and the interior is quite nice, it did have to be pushed a bit to get up a steep hill but I figure with 3.73 instead of the 3.43 it would handle that nicer.

- What gas mileage is everyone seeing with the new 5.3 with the "Active Fuel Management"? I will be driving about 80% freeway miles.

- How does everyone like the NAV system and why is the one that plays DVDs and the one that does not the same price?

- Has anyone put on an K&N filter or a cat-back exhaust and if so do you "feel" more power and do you see any better mileage?

- Does anyone know what the gas mileage difference between the 3.73 and 3.43 gears is? Is there much power difference?

I love the forums, I did months of post and reading on forums before I purchased my Ford many years ago and I figure I would do the same this time.

dcovell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any opinions on this? I am mostly intrested in what everyone is getting as far as gas mileage goes, especially if they have done things like a K&N air filter, Catback, or a Superchip, etc.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2007 Tahoe 4X4, 5.3 w/ the 3.43's and during the first 2500 miles my wife averaged about 14.5 mpg. We added the superchip and that number immediately climbed to about 15.5 mpg (almost zero highway driving). We live in a real hilly area and I was always really dissapointed on how the Tahoe lugged up hills, until you gave it enough gas to down shift. After installing the superchip it seemed to do better on hills, not requiring that hard downshift. The chip does help out alot but not really off the line.

We traded in that Tahoe for a 2007 Yukon XL 4X4, 5.3 w/ the 3.43's and it
has 3000 miles on it now. It had the superchip from day one and we saw a
consistant 14.2 mpg. I added the magnaflow exhaust and that bumped it up
to 14.6 mpg. I just installed the GM Performance CAI and I haven't seen that
number climb at all yet. I did however feel a slight difference in power (at high rpm's) with the installation of CAI in combination with exhaust.

Personally if I had the choice to do over, I would opt for the 3.73's over the 3.43's. The gas difference would be minimal if at all, and it would probably keep the 5.3 in a better rpm range while giving you better off the line performance. Also, if you can wait, there is suppose to be a 6 speed transmission in 2008.

dcovell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard about the 6 speed but I did not know when it was due. I am not sure I can wait an entire year for that.

Most of my driving is the freeway, about 80% of it.

On the Superchip can you select the diffrent octanes of gas or is it just 91+?

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dcovell said:
I have heard about the 6 speed but I did not know when it was due. I am not sure I can wait an entire year for that.

Most of my driving is the freeway, about 80% of it.

On the Superchip can you select the diffrent octanes of gas or is it just 91+?

GM says that the 2008s will have 6 Speed Transmission and available this later fall 07 as well as the Tahoe / Yukon Hybrids.

dcovell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the 2007 Yukon may actually have the 6 speed on it late in the model year? That I might be able to wait for...

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dcovell said:
So the 2007 Yukon may actually have the 6 speed on it late in the model year? That I might be able to wait for...

That's what I expected but doesnt seem like that will happen. We'll see, we just started the month of April.