Stock Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Albow

Reaction score
How can you replace the stock door speakers with after-market ones, don't look like enough room for ones with bigger magnets, and what size are they? I have a 96 yukon with factory stereo, bought some 6.5" Dual illuminite 140 watts 3way and there's no way they will fit. just tried the rear doors.

98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the same thing but with the 4x10s in the rear. If I had to build like a build up I'm thinking about putting two 6x9 boxes in their place instead. I'd measure the stock one and go to a local shop. Or some speakers on E-Bay give dimensions. If your stuck with the speakers you have and they don't fit a build up is a option. Maybe some trim work on the door panel. IDK

Albow

Reaction score
I think Im just going with a amp and sub & box for better bass instead of chopping the crap out of my doors and grills and im puting the 6.5s i just bought in my motorhome, Thanks.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
- They are 4" in the front doors.. you can replace them with aftermarket - i actually blew both of mine, and replaced them with 2002 silverado... then blew the drivers side door again - the Downside to a blown speaker is it pulls way to many volts.. i completly fried a $1600 head-unit (pioneer 7" touch screen) due to this.. so as for now, my drivers side door is just dis-connected - Just a heads up for blown speakers

Albow

Reaction score
Speakers

Thats to bad frying your stuff, Mine all work but don't sound very good, are the back door ones bigger? I didn't pull the front door pan's off and look yet but the back door ones are cheep looking, thin magets no tweeters, made in mexico, just not much bass, my ford exploer has way better sound for a stock stero.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya, i do belive they are bigger, and they have a factory amp powering them

Albow

Reaction score
Factory stereo

I like the stock stereo cuz it has the cd and tape deck both [i have a lot of tapes] i have to check out what i can do with it without replaceing the stock stuff like amps etc.

Anvilair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pioneer 6 1/2, 4 way speakers rated at 150 watts fit the front really well with no modification and sound really good. Also i found that in the back doors you can use Sony 6 1/2, 4 way Explodes in the stock location using the stock mounting pins. These sound great and offer great bass for a 6 1/2. I tried a few types of speaker combinations to get the best sound out of such a large cabin using the stock mounting positions and found the Sony Pioneer combo to work well. The Pioneers up front offer good mid and high range and the Sony's in the rear offer decent bass while complimenting the mids and highs.
In the rear roof I removed the stock 4x10 mounting brackets (only 2 bolts each and can easily be accessed if you remove the top rear trim piece.)
Ater drilling 4 new holes for screws a set of Sony 6x9 Explodes mounted in the stock location just fine. Clearance is a little tight between the magnet and the roof but they sound great.

Also, all these speakers are available at Walmart CHEAP.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anvilar, I agree.

For me, I removed the stock Bose 5.25s and replaced them with Infinity reference 6.5 SHALLOW. thats the only one I could get to fit in the back door. I used the same speakers in front, and installation required no cutting of anything. Just drilling some small holes and screws to fasten.

Albow

Reaction score
Speakers

Thanks guys this helped me alot I think im going shopping! Oh will the rear door stock covers snap on over the speakers ok?

Last edited:

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the denali interior, and I had no troubles. It was close, but they didnt touch or rub, and everything fit back together like it was stock.

98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are what I bought. Happy shopping!!!

Did you try the sony speakers in the front door at all? And I am going to check on the 6x9 mounting situation also. That was a great tip!

Anvilair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you try the sony speakers in the front door at all? And I am going to check on the 6x9 mounting situation also. That was a great tip!

Yes. The Sony's fit the front doors perfect as well. I just prefered the highs of the Pioneers in the front for the jazz I listen to.

If you remove the metal piece I was refering to you can the mount 6x9's to the removable speaker screen in the roof and snap them back in place as one unit. Just make sure you leave the rear top trim piece off until you have completed the instalation because you need to access the locking tabs on the speaker screens from above the headliner if you choose to mount them this way. I was suprised at how secure this instal was. I thought it was going to be a disaster. I will post a pic.

Anvilair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry this is not a new picture. This was before I put the Sony's in and cleaned up the install a bit so the fit is not perfect. But you get the idea.

The trim piece that meeds to be removed is the one at the top of the pic. Just 2 screws at the sides and 2 snaps. This drops the headliner just enough to remove the metal speaker mounts in order to make room for the 6x9,s.

Attachments

• roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 21

98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my next question about the 6x9's. Might try mounting them that way. I also wonder about this spot on the rear door.
101_0759.jpg

The opening looks like a perfect fit. I would love two sets of 6x9s back there.