Tech: Intermediate Shaft Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tspain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a GMT800 body style truck/SUV you probably know about the intermediate steering shaft making the horrible knocking/popping when turning and going over bumps.

Here's a little walkthrough to help you replace that steering shaft with the new designed, non-greased, steering shaft. Part number 19153614

Important:

• I-shaft P/N 19153614 has been designed to replace previous designed dampened and non-dampened I-shafts. The physical difference in the yoke size will accommodate all vehicles listed in this bulletin.

• Due to the design of the new I-shaft, it is not possible to lubricate/grease the I-shaft.

Set the front wheels in the straight ahead position.

Notice: On the 2002 and later model year vehicles, the steering column LOCK was removed from the steering column. It is critical that the J 42640 - Steering column Anti-Rotation Pin is used when servicing steering columns on 2002 and later model year vehicles. Failure to use the J 42640 may result in damage to the SIR coil.

Set the steering wheel in the LOCK position on 2001 and prior model year vehicles.

From under the hood, remove the lower bolt that connects the upper intermediate shaft to the steering gear coupling shaft.
ishaftout.gif

Slide the shaft towards the dash in order to disengage the shaft from the steering gear coupling shaft.

For vehicles equipped with adjustable foot pedals, perform the following steps:
1. Reposition the carpet away from the accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor.

2. Remove the two nuts retaining the accelerator pedal to the bulkhead.

3. Reposition the accelerator pedal out of the way so the intermediate shaft can be removed.

From inside the vehicle, remove the upper bolt from the upper intermediate steering shaft (1) to the steering column connection.
ishaftcolumn.gif

Remove the upper intermediate steering shaft assembly.

1. From inside the vehicle, slide the shaft down and off the steering column.

2. From inside the vehicle, slide the upper intermediate shaft through the dash boot seal and remove the shaft from the vehicle.

Replace the upper intermediate shaft.

Install the upper intermediate steering shaft through the dash boot seal and slide the lower end into the steering gear coupling shaft.

Raise the upper end of the intermediate steering shaft and install into the steering column shaft.

Install the upper bolt and nut.

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

DutchTBI

Reaction score
Zoetermeer ( Sweetlake City) The Netherlands
There's a much cheaper fix for this. Just loosen the lowest bolt on the ISS so that it comes apart from the part below. Gently push the ISS in and out towards the firewall for a few minutes, re-install the lowest bolt and presto, you're set for amother rattle free 10.000 miles or so. Works like a charm. See:

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31625

tspain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm aware of that fix as it was the temporary fix we were to do while GM was manufacturing the new designed shafts. If you replace the shaft with the new design one, you won't have to worry about it any more.

Alternatively, on the old style (greased) shafts, you can drill a hole in the upper part of the shaft and install a grease fitting and squirt a shot or two in it every time you change your oil.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alternatively, on the old style (greased) shafts, you can drill a hole in the upper part of the shaft and install a grease fitting and squirt a shot or two in it every time you change your oil.

Great!..now this would be what...grease zerk Number 12? to be done ...:smilielol: :smilielol:

rcaballe

Reaction score
Heeeeeeeeelp! My Child Turns Steering Wheel Wiht Iss Removed!!!

Hi there!!!

My child turns the steering wheel while ISS is away. So right now, steering controls and air bag don't work??? What I can do?? is possible to coil is ok or is sure that it was damaged??? I need opinions, thank you in advance,

Ruben

rcaballe

Reaction score
Heeeeeeeeelp! My Child Turns Steering Wheel Wiht Iss Removed!!!

Hi there!!!

My child turns the steering wheel while ISS is away. So right now, steering controls and air bag don't work!!!
What I can do?? is possible to coil is ok or is sure that it was damaged??? I need opinions, thank you in advance,

Ruben

jonbert

Reaction score
Ouch. I couldn't tell you but I guess I will buy the anti rotation pin before I try installing my ISS.

VaTahoeLt

Reaction score
just finished installing my new ISS. Talk about a pain in the ass to get the gas pedal assembly bolted back up

jonbert

Reaction score
It does take a little finesse. If you didn't use a 3/8 universal with extension I don't know how you can do it.

dpnut2

Reaction score
On my '05 tahoe (bone stock) I can also feel the the road or bumps up through the steering column and right to my steering wheel, so I am thinking of getting this done or doing it myself.

On a scale from 1-10...how hard is this to do if I have never done this type of work before?

Thanks

VaTahoeLt

Reaction score
On my '05 tahoe (bone stock) I can also feel the the road or bumps up through the steering column and right to my steering wheel, so I am thinking of getting this done or doing it myself.

On a scale from 1-10...how hard is this to do if I have never done this type of work before?

Thanks

i would say a 6-7. biggest problem i had was getting the gas pedal bolted back up. it's only 4 bolts altogether

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throttle by wire you may need to remove but on my 01 (cable) I didn’t have to take anything off.
If you are feeling bumps in the road you might also consider a steering dampener. I used to drive a Z71 and when I got the Yukon it was like Hyper power steering, I don’t like that. The dampener made a big difference…..

MyBlkBurban

Reaction score
i would say a 6-7. biggest problem i had was getting the gas pedal bolted back up. it's only 4 bolts altogether

LOL I just did this same ISS replacement this weekend on my burban and man what a PIA the gas pedal is !!! I couldn't get to the second nut in back of the gas pedal for sh!t. Of course I started around 4:00pm thinking it would only be 2 bolts and the gas pedal and it ended up taking me until about 5:30 (in the dark) to finish up.

I ended up not taking out the gas pedal - but instead unsnapping the heating vent from the foot area and it gave me just enough room the wiggle the old shaft out and put the new one in. So FYI for anyone with adjustable pedals -- you can unsnapt the vent and get enough room. Getting the shaft back through the boot took a little finesse and a lot more luck - but it made it through. The new shaft feels alot better now ! Definitly recommend it to anyone with same issuess

VaTahoeLt

Reaction score
LOL I just did this same ISS replacement this weekend on my burban and man what a PIA the gas pedal is !!! I couldn't get to the second nut in back of the gas pedal for sh!t. Of course I started around 4:00pm thinking it would only be 2 bolts and the gas pedal and it ended up taking me until about 5:30 (in the dark) to finish up.

I ended up not taking out the gas pedal - but instead unsnapping the heating vent from the foot area and it gave me just enough room the wiggle the old shaft out and put the new one in. So FYI for anyone with adjustable pedals -- you can unsnapt the vent and get enough room. Getting the shaft back through the boot took a little finesse and a lot more luck - but it made it through. The new shaft feels alot better now ! Definitly recommend it to anyone with same issuess

yeah, i got the gas pedal off no problem. there were a few curse words and a few things thrown before i was able to get that bolt back on. damn it was a pain in the ass.

larryz24

Reaction score
ISS Replace

My 2003 started clunking again after the dealer relube a few years back. I ordered the replacement ISS from Flow and I ordered the J 42640 - Steering column Anti-Rotation Pin from Ebay. I have a question regarding the anti-rotation pin, where exactly does it go? Is it put through the coupler hole under the dash when the ISS is disconnected? I have not been able to find anything talking about where the tool is used specifically.

Thanks.