Rear sub box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caddis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just trying to figure out if this is worth it or not. This is not a question about console subs or anything other than replacement of the rear sub. I don't have a bose system but have the sub box on the driver's side rear, it sounds like garbage. Is it easy enough to just replace the speaker or do I have to drive it with a separate amp? Has anyone done this? Thanks fellas.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing the stock sub with a better aftermarket will help sound quality and output but you are better off buying a dedicated subwoofer and amplifier, I love my sealed 12" kicker L7 and the box doesn't take up much room at all (stash box on the end is nice too).
DSC01463.jpg

I was going to gut the stock subwoofer and amp behind the panel and build a fiberglass box for a ported 8 but this looks cleaner and sounds better than anything I could have put in that small space. Once I buy more amps and get rid of all the stock stuff I'll gut it all out and build some amp racks to go behind there, stock stereo sounds alot better once you disconnect the subwoofer too (less draw on the amp=more power for the other speakers).

Caddis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't plan on any big system in the truck, just want cleaner sound, right now I need to probably replace some speakers and the head unit, and just want to replace the sub in the enclosure. Heck if need be I have an old 10" Bazooka that I have had since the 80's, and I replace the speaker in that, it booms, but I just want low profile clean sound, nothing amazing, just a decent sound.

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, just hate to see you add a decent, less effecient driver, but still be dis-pleased due to lack of power. I bet it's not even getting 50 watts. But you add real 100-200 watts, to a 'better' driver, you will be very pleased.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would replace it with a better speaker and run an aftermarket amp to the sub if you want to keep the stock enclosure, then replace your front and rear door speakers with some infinity 6.5's to keep it close to the stock impedence (most aftermarket speakers are 4ohm, stock bose are 2.4ohm and the infinitys are 2.65ohm). You'll find some good deals on here for the speakers
http://www.hookedontronics.com/show...&cid=876&fromprice=&toprice=&keyword=&attrbA=
Not too sure on the sub as I haven't measured the top mount depth but you should be able to install a kicker cvx and it will sound good, also look into dynamatting the doors while you have them apart.