new/aftermkt stereo system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hogfan

Reaction score
I'm wanting to put a nice system in my 08 yukon. Right now I just want to upgrade the mids and tweeters...eventually maybe 2 12's? Any recommendations on mids/tweeters?

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what's your budget? What do you like in a set of speakers, sound quality, or just loud? Do you have the bose system now, or the stock system?

AAHTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to put a nice system in my 08 yukon. Right now I just want to upgrade the mids and tweeters...eventually maybe 2 12's? Any recommendations on mids/tweeters?

As was mentioned before - depends on your budget. I have an 07 Tahoe that had the non-Bose system. It would play loud but the sound was very muddy. The mids were playing bass and midrange which took away a lot of detail and seperation. I replaced the factory mids and tweeters with Infinity Reference speakers. The component set (6020CS) in the front which replaced the mids in the doors and the tweeters in the posts. I also replaced the mids in the rear doors with Infinity Reference speakers (6022I) as well. I had an Alpine amp (F250 - 4x 50w) installed as well. The sound after break-in is realy good. I'm hearing things in music played from my iPod that I did not hear from the factory system. If you are not into a lot of bass you need go no further. I like moderate bass so I will add the sub-woofer that fits under the center console (Forget the brand name right now.) and another amp later this year. The sub and amp will add not only bass but some more depth to the music I like. Hope this helps.

Mad Dawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As was mentioned before - depends on your budget. I have an 07 Tahoe that had the non-Bose system. It would play loud but the sound was very muddy. The mids were playing bass and midrange which took away a lot of detail and seperation. I replaced the factory mids and tweeters with Infinity Reference speakers. The component set (6020CS) in the front which replaced the mids in the doors and the tweeters in the posts. I also replaced the mids in the rear doors with Infinity Reference speakers (6022I) as well. I had an Alpine amp (F250 - 4x 50w) installed as well. The sound after break-in is realy good. I'm hearing things in music played from my iPod that I did not hear from the factory system. If you are not into a lot of bass you need go no further. I like moderate bass so I will add the sub-woofer that fits under the center console (Forget the brand name right now.) and another amp later this year. The sub and amp will add not only bass but some more depth to the music I like. Hope this helps.

How was installation?? Did you have to make any mods to the A-post mounts for the tweeters or did they bolt right on. Any wiring mods or did the factory wiring/harness plug right in. Any issues with the door mounted mid's??

AAHTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How was installation?? Did you have to make any mods to the A-post mounts for the tweeters or did they bolt right on. Any wiring mods or did the factory wiring/harness plug right in. Any issues with the door mounted mid's??

Mad Dawg -
I had this set up installed where I bought it (Ultimate Electronics in Chandler, AZ). They assured me that everything fit and that they did not have to cut anything or drill extra holes or make any modifications for any of the speakers. When I looked these speakers up on Crutchfield it was indicated that these speakers would fit the factory holes. The only thing that the installer did mention is that he threw in some dampening material and gaskets that would improve the installation quality. I do not like to play my music loud but wanted to have clear sound with good seperation at low to moderate levels and this set up fits the bill for my tastes.

strangeengine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or if you have the bose system, you could amp up your bose up...i put an amp to mine and was totally satisfied

Don't Bose systems usually have the crossovers integrated with the amp and matched to the speakers, meaning that you're hobbling any aftermarket speakers by using the Bose amp?

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't Bose systems usually have the crossovers integrated with the amp and matched to the speakers, meaning that you're hobbling any aftermarket speakers by using the Bose amp?

The Bose 8800 amp used in the Tahoe doesn't use crossover circuitry. The incoming signal is converted to digital (if necessary) and EQ'd by DSP. Bose hasn't used conventional crossovers since the mid-late 90's. The area needed for 9 channels of conventional crossovers would easily exceed the size of the existing amp.

strangeengine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Bose 8800 amp used in the Tahoe doesn't use crossover circuitry. The incoming signal is converted to digital (if necessary) and EQ'd by DSP. Bose hasn't used conventional crossovers since the mid-late 90's. The area needed for 9 channels of conventional crossovers would easily exceed the size of the existing amp.

That's the same end result, though. The DSP is EQ'ing based on the assumption that there are Bose speakers connected.

So you're going to hobble nice aftermarket speakers, right?

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you're going to hobble nice aftermarket speakers, right?

You may. Remember, you're dealing with a $300 cost system; that's amp, sub, and 8 cabin transducers combined. Equiping that system with speakers that are custom voiced to the amp is not possible for 300 bucks. What does happen is the Tahoe's cabin is EQ'd in the lab and the DSP settings are recorded, set, and stored in flash RAM. So every time the system is fired up, the EQ specifically for the Tahoe using the OEM transducers is loaded to DSP. The transducers themselves have a frequency range depending on how they're being used, but there's certainly nothing unique about them; just 1 and 2 ohm voice coils. Still, each brand of transducer sounds different so I'd expect a completely different "sound" with whatever you put in there. I'd be more concerned about driving aftermarket "speakers" with the Bose amp. Most aftermarket stuff is anywhere from 4 to 8 ohms. With that impedance, you'll see a significant decrease in audio levels from the 1 and 2 ohm impedance found in the Bose transducers.

TaHeezy4Sheezy

Reaction score
Im looking to buy some speakers also.. Im looking to get 2 kicker l7s and I was wondering if anybody had any recomendations for getting the components. Ive been out of the audio loop for awhile. Should I get 2 sets of components speaker systems. I like my music loud crisp with alot of treble in the highs... Anybody recommend anything?

hogfan

Reaction score
Without the subs (eventually gonna put 12's) my budget is around 500 bux! I like my music fairly loud with a decent amount of base. I do not have the bose system. Is it possible to get everything I need without a head unit and subs for this budget? Thanks

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upgrading speakers in the rear is pointless unless you regularly have people back there who care. As for a driver the rear speakers will only serve to ruin your sound stage. It is much better to invest the money in better front components. I'm planning on getting a set of Alpine SPX-17REF for my tahoe this summer. They have gotten very good response on CAF, and are supposed to be very good for their price range (sub $200 on ebay).

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without the subs (eventually gonna put 12's) my budget is around 500 bux! I like my music fairly loud with a decent amount of base. I do not have the bose system. Is it possible to get everything I need without a head unit and subs for this budget? Thanks

Easily! Like my last post says a very decent set of components will run me $200 and you can get a decent amp for another $200.

Just so all of you know if you haven't seen this already you'll need this harness for adding any aftermarket amplifiers etc...

hogfan

Reaction score
I just had a guy quote me a setup: JL Audio component speakers front and rear, tweeters, two Memphis 10's and 2 amps for $1700

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a guy quote me a setup: JL Audio component speakers front and rear, tweeters, two Memphis 10's and 2 amps for $1700

JL and Memphis make good stuff, but that is overpriced.

Last edited:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get JL audio subs and amps its the only way to go

That's a pretty bold statement don't you think? There are many brands that make much better equipment than JL and that cost a lot more. There are several brands that cost about the same as JL and are better. And there are lots of brands that make worse equipment than JL. But any way you look at it, JL isn't the ONLY way to go.

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta go with him there, JL is not the only good stereo companay, there are many more, Polk maudio is the one I like!