Shocks, keys, and spacers!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biomektattoo

Reaction score
Hey All, Just picked up a 01 tahoe lt. I want to put some new sohocks on it but have a few questions first.I want to use torsion keys in the front and 1.5 spacers for the reaer to get a bit more clearance for the next size bigger tire. Will I have to have shocks for a "lift kit". Will that make it ride wierd? and I also want to put a brush guard on her, does this weight up front require different shock?New to the tahoe. Been drivin a lifted 96 cherokee for 9 years so I really dont even know where to begin. Help!!!!
Thanks All,
Nathan BAuer

Mgreen4117

Reaction score
If you are going to lift it by doing the keys and spacers its a good idea to go ahead and get some aftermarket shocks that are a little longer. Because of the extra height if your suspension fully extends down ie. hit a pot hole you will need the extra travel. I didn't replace them on my 2500 when I did keys and I could feel it when the suspension maxed out the shocks. The longer shocks shouldn't affect your ride. And about the brushguard, they aren't heavy enough to worry about. I have a normal brushguard on my tahoe and it doesn't effect the suspension. However, if you were going to put a bumper replacement on there. Then you might want to beef up the suspension a little. Hopes this helped.

Michael

biomektattoo

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch Michael! It helps alot any suggestion on a brand of extended shocks?or anything to stay away from!
Nathan

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much every shock manufacturer makes longer shocks for these trucks, rancho rs9000XL's are on sale for buy 3 get 1 free and the bilsteins ride really nice. Cognito http://www.cognitomotorsports.com makes a leveling kit with new uca's that give you way more travel and eliminate the crazy balljoint angle a tbar crank can create. What ya have done to the XJ? I have one myself but it's just a little fella.

biomektattoo

Reaction score
Thanks boost, I was thinkin rabcho or bilstein myself. as far as my xj goes hes a lil guy too. just a 3" lift with some big mudders and a nice rack up top. I never did more to it cuz it just didnt need it.
Thanks
Nathan