Tweets and Mids out back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a Memphis 12" DVC 450 Sub in the back. Here it is
101_0768.jpg

Powering the sub is this Memphis Class D 500w amp.

101_0770.jpg

The bass is fine. Sounds great in the front seats. But sitting in the back seat the bass is too much. All the other speakers are stock and the 4x10 slots are empty awaiting something new. So I go out and buy new 6 1/2 sony 4 ways for the back doors. 250w rated speakers and they suck. Hooked up to just my head unit (and I guess through the factory amp). By the time I turn it up to actually hear the highs it's too much for the cone. Not to mention that by this time the front tweets are SCREAMING at you. So I tried to hook them up to a 800w Sony Explod 2ch amp. Will not try that again. I thought the speaker was going to blow. I just wanted to see if the speaker wasn't getting enough power and was getting distorted from the factory amp.

So now I have this amp all hooked up and waitng for something to power. Maybe components in the door? 6x9's somewhere in the back? I tried looking around for some higher rated watt 6 1/2's. Finding them above 200w is not easy. So I am going to have to run multiple speakers off this amp. So what to get? Don't know if I will try another set of 4 ways. Maybe 6x9 3ways in the back. Something to hook that amp up to. I def. don't want another 12. I need to know what some of ya'll are running for mids and highs in the back. So much space in these UAV's.
Thanks in advance;) P

bsamoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two infinity 12" subs in the back. i have the amp down low because i just want the bass to fill in where the stocks don't. I replaced the two 4x10's with JBL's and the rest of the system is stock. I have the treble up just a little bit so I can hear it, and the ipod on the bass reducer eq setting and it sounds perfect at normal listening levels. When I crank it up is when we get into trouble because it sounds like ****. I would like to bypass the factory amp and keep the factory head unit, but don't know if that's even possible.

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It probably sounds like **** because your speakers are either blown or you are sending too much power to them. You might also have the base turned up a little to high for your internals.

T-Bagg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got Memphis Audio in my front doors and also nothing in the back. The 4x10 are hard to find. But I was told that Memphis Audio is the best in the business so I've got those coming in. I know what you're saying about the bass in the back seats. I got two JL Audio 12"s back there. I'm thinking it's about time to down grade. It sounds great in the front seats, but oh man do you get pummeled in the back. Just glad I'm always in the front left.

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Hertz speakers all around, you don't necessarily have to get a set of speakers with high power handeling, just a pair that are good quality. Ones with better quality yet a lower power rating will generally sound better and louder. Yet, this might mean spending more than you want to. I have a 10" sub in the rear and it is just enough to fill in the lower end. I hope to put my XXX 12" back in :shhh:

the goose

Reaction score
yeah i would get ride of the sonys they all sound horrible. I installed memphis m class 6 n half component sets in front and back doors. i powered it with a rockford fosgate p3002 and they sound awesome. if your trying to power more than 4 speakers i recommend moving into a four channel amp to power them. usually most of the big name brand have good speakers except for sony and low level pioneers.