Transmission Question? help plz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jasontamu

Reaction score
hi,

Im looking to buy a 96 to 99 tahoe.

however, im coming from a single cab V6 chevy C1500 and i remember that in 97 chevy went with a different Tranny that was complete crap! i found this out because i have a 95 C1500 and my father a 97 C1500.

His 97 had the tranny crap out at only 30,000 miles. boo....after rebuilt its been great though, but we went to a highly rep shop that does great work..

I was wondering if that the same with the tahoe?

im guessing the trannys are different? but i wanted to see if anyone knew?

thanks so much!? any help/info is greatly appreciated.
- Jason?

HockeyHauler

Reaction score
this vintage has a crap shoot for trannies, I was extra careful and bought one with a rebuilt tranny, I think a friend of mine said that 1 of every 4 trannies fall out of these vintage

NOKUY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '97 Tahoe went over 230K with only ONE tranny service at 200K. The transfer case did go at around 120K but the tranny was fine. At 233K the front u-joint snapped and cracked the tranny case. Otherwise it never gave me any problems..

Moularia

Reaction score
thank god, and knock on wood, my tranny with regular transmission service (oil and filter) its still running great, even though i shift through the gears alot, at down hillspeeds and etc. i have about 115k on it.. and i am up for a service on it too..... last time i forgot about 20k miles over, and it kept slipping on me, alot, i would redline the car, and it wouldnt skip to the next gear, i actually got outrun by a 89 toyota truck cause i was doing 35 miles and it wouldnt change gears...... but anywhoooo... transmission and engine on these things are great..

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all 1500 trucks and tahoes have the 4L60E transmission. they have a design flaw in the valve body. you can buy an $80 kit to fix this. all u gotta do is take off the tranny oil pan (15 or so bolts) to install it. then u gotta fill it back up with fluid and might as well change the filter while u got the pan dropped. any good tranny shop can do this for about $200. just hope that the gears/clutches aren't already burned up...

a good mod to consider is a beefier sunshell. this prevents you from losing reverse, which is another common occurrence on this tranny. the Beast sunshell is nearly bullet proof. i got mine completely redone for $1300

this included 2 u-joints, auxilary cooler, alto clutches/steels, beast sunshell, corvette servo (firmer shifts), the valve body update, all other parts/labor. whole job took them 2 days. mine had lost 3rd and 4th gear and was banging gears from 1st to 2nd. dealership quoted me $2600 for the same fatally flawed tranny to replace it with a 1 year warranty. my shop gave me a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty and cost less than 1/2 price. they even held up the warranty when the cooler lines burst due to improper routing and i burned up 3rd and 4th gear again. let me know if u are near Charleston, SC or if u want their contact info.