Aftermarket Air Filter and Chip question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hmoobsupra

Reaction score
OK..I was talking to a long lost buddy and he was saying that I can replace my filter with an aftermarket one and a chip to increase 4-5 more mpg to my 07 Yukon. I know with proper tuning (with knowledge and equipment) one can do a whole lot....I will be replacing my stock filter with a K&N filter...however, is there such a chip available for the 07 Yukon?

Thanks.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't buy anything 'til you watch the video on this site ==> http://www.trueflow.com/

Also most hp gains claimed, if accurate, are usually at high rpms which don't do much good unless you are going for a land speed record.

Let's face it, to get more power, you have to get more fuel & air thru the engine. To do that, you have to go with forced induction, bigger valves, bigger throttle body, bigger exhaust system, etc. I have the feeling that if GM could get more power &/or better mpg out of this engine economically, they would have done it. :Chevy:

That said, I do have a Superchips that I'm going to try as soon as the weather warms up and I can get my GTech Pro up and running. :excited:

ohmslaw

Reaction score
You may have a point about the air filter in the upper RPM's. Although i felt a noticalbe difference in the 3000 rpm range when I installed my AEM intake. I later added a Superchips power programmer to the equation which changed the whole performance spectrum. Great throttle response, better shift points to take advantage of the added HP. The only thing i didnt notice was the MPG gains.....my info center records an average 15.5 mpg including city and highway driving (and do I have a lead foot)! I have flowmaster 50 series mufflers that were installed before all mods. In a nut shell all these bolt ons will not add up to a 500 Hp motor with 30 mpg. You may get a few ponies here and there but your better off with a supercharger turbo or major engine mods for real HP. As far as GM tapping the LS 1 for all its power is a joke why didnt the past chevy trucks have the HP and MPG they do now? Only when EPA steps in and sets a higher bar.
Don't buy anything 'til you watch the video on this site ==> http://www.trueflow.com/

Also most hp gains claimed, if accurate, are usually at high rpms which don't do much good unless you are going for a land speed record.

Let's face it, to get more power, you have to get more fuel & air thru the engine. To do that, you have to go with forced induction, bigger valves, bigger throttle body, bigger exhaust system, etc. I have the feeling that if GM could get more power &/or better mpg out of this engine economically, they would have done it. :Chevy:

That said, I do have a Superchips that I'm going to try as soon as the weather warms up and I can get my GTech Pro up and running. :excited:

Lizard1

Reaction score
Worthwhile doing anything?

so are you guys saying to not waste my time trying to get any power gains from some simple bolt-on mods for my '07 Tahoe? What realistic gains would I get from an aftermarket (K&N) airfilter?

I realize it's hard to increase the power out of a NA vehicle but I was just wondering if there were any small power gains or better fuel efficiency scenarios I could get from doing anything outside of adding a blower or putting bigger headers on. Don't necessarily want any increased sound(my wife is still nagging about ruining our '99 yukon with flow masters and echo tips ;) )

TIA!

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About all a CAI like a K&N will do besides some additional induction noise is at the upper RPM band which in the real world is not giving you much that you can use. A Superchips will give you the most bang for the buck IMO but you gotta use premium gas then. :eek:

To get more power from an IC motor, you need to cram more air (cam and forced induction) and fuel (bigger injectors) and make it easier for the spent gases to get out like headers, free-flow mufflers, and large exhaust.

Timgco

Reaction score
..just thought I'd throw my 2 cent in here.

You will not get HUGE gains from an air filter and programmer.

You will notice throttle response and firmer shifting.

I recently bought an 07 Tahoe and Avalanche. I put a Superchips Programmer and Volant in the AV. I notice quite a difference. The shifting is much firmer and there is less "delay" when you stomp on the gas too.

I will be adding to the Tahoe very soon.

I'll get some pics up of the install(s) and both trucks soon.

Tim.

Lizard1

Reaction score
so going to the dealer parts guy tomorrow and pick up some chrome accents Shark was kind enough to help me find and I was thinking about the following performance air intake. Not sure if this is OEM or not? http://www.gmaccessorydealer.com/details.asp?prod_id=66375

i know what you guys said about forced air induction and other things necessary to make any big difference but thought this may atleast make a growl with modest improvement??? any thoughts about saving me the $500 bones....

also, you guys remember the Vortex gimmick thing? At the time it came out, I wasn't in the position to be playing with it but am thinking about it now - did that help out with anything or was it pretty much a gimmick?

and if i am going to "chip" it, is there one company that has been more reliable with better customer service than the others? i just haven't been in this part of the game before and am eager to mod & learn ;)

as always - thanks for any help/guidance!

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so going to the dealer parts guy tomorrow and pick up some chrome accents Shark was kind enough to help me find and I was thinking about the following performance air intake. Not sure if this is OEM or not? http://www.gmaccessorydealer.com/details.asp?prod_id=66375

i know what you guys said about forced air induction and other things necessary to make any big difference but thought this may atleast make a growl with modest improvement??? any thoughts about saving me the $500 bones....

also, you guys remember the Vortex gimmick thing? At the time it came out, I wasn't in the position to be playing with it but am thinking about it now - did that help out with anything or was it pretty much a gimmick?

and if i am going to "chip" it, is there one company that has been more reliable with better customer service than the others? i just haven't been in this part of the game before and am eager to mod & learn ;)

as always - thanks for any help/guidance!

First here's a cheaper GM site: http://www.gmaccessories-direct.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_104_300&products_id=4716
Here's even cheaper: http://www.gmpartszone.com/PD-17800809.aspx?MakeID=12
And yet another: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm
Last one: https://www.partszoneonline.com/index.php You'll have to enter the P/N 17800809 for this one and maybe some of the others. Sometimes when you copy the link, it doesn't go to the exact place. You can just go to the basic home (the dot com part) and go from there if link doesn't work.

Now about the Vortex or whatever it's called. The little sheetmetal thingy that looks like a pinwheel that you stick in air intake. First of all, if what we wanted in the intake system was turbulent flow, why would we spend $$s to ensure that the ports are matched and very smooth? And second, I've never seen one of these on any kind of race car, drag, circle track, road race, etc. It's kind of like taping the magnets to your gas line for at least a 20% increase in mpg. All of these items are primarily designed to lighten your wallet. Remember as a wise man once said, "there's one born every minute" and "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" :cryin:
I got a Superchips programmer and it does feel like an increase in power but I'm waiting 'til I try it with my GTech Pro to give me some hard data. From what I've heard on other forums, the Superchips is supposed to be one of the better ones and the GM CAI system is very good.

Good luck with your mods. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '07 Yukon XL with the Superchips Flashpaq ($350), that was installed the second I came home from the dealer. I had it on my '07 Tahoe and saw about a 1 mpg increase in mileage, along with much better accelaration throughout the rpm curve. I later added the Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system ($400) and saw almost a 1 mpg increase. Then later I added the GM CAI ($300) and actually saw the mpg decrease by a half a percent (only 5% highway driving). The GM CAI is a very nice piece, and I like the fact that it is a GM unit, just a little dissapointed in the decline in mileage. There definitely is an increase in performance when adding the Flashpaq, but as far as the exhaust and CAI, any increase is minimal at best.
The best bang for the $$$ was definitely the Superchips!

Lizard1

Reaction score
thanks for all that info - I figured something made by GM wouldn't be the end all-be all piece I was looking for.

Now off to search for the best priced Superchip :cool:

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been about a year and I can't remember, but I will try and dig through my records and let you know.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My order total was $382.97 last September @ truckcustomizers.com. I double checked their website and currently they're $449.99. You may want to contact them and see if they will honor their old price.

Lizard1

Reaction score
just got off the phone with truckcustomizers.com and the guy was real upfront telling me about how on 4/2/07 all distributors for Superships had to sign an agreement to sell only at the MSRP of $450 or above or else they'd lose their product. But because he was genuine and nice about it, I went ahead and bought it - it's got free overnight so makes up for some of it ;)

now just gonna decide if i want a CAI as he said he'd "take care of me on that".....it's just money right ;)

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad everything worked out. They were great to deal with and I would give them my business again. You can't beat free overnight delivery!

Enjoy your Flashpaq and make sure you ALWAYS return the truck back to stock before taking it to the dealer for ANY kind of work. If the Stealer messes with your computer system ,you just lost your $450! :cryin:

Lizard1

Reaction score
so last question - I promise.....

Trying to decide between the Volant and the AFE CAI for mt truck. I'm betting I wouldn't be able to tell the difference performance once if they were swapped out on my truck but i do want the one with the less growl. Yeah you heard me, quieter is better for once :)

Anybody with some firsthand knowlege about what I'm seeking??

TIA