Adding a new sub / amp to bose system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hacim007

Reaction score
I have an 03 Tahoe and I was wondering if it's possible to add a sub to the system. I have a 1000 watt amp and some decent 12" subs

So I guess I'm asking

1. is there rca leads on the head unit or at the stock amp
2. I need to replace the head unit in order to be able to add a sub amp

I don't really mind the regular bose system just needs a little more punch from the bass.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not 100% sure but ill try to help.

1. im pretty sure you have to splice into the signal out lines and run it to your sub amp.

2. if your wanting to replace it its a little more complicated than the 01-02s cause your door chime goes off your door speakers and you will need about a $80 module to keep that feature. sorta glad i have an 02.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can go two different routes:

1. Buy a Line-Out converter. First you remove your stock sub in the center console. You then take the four wires that originally went into that sub and solder them to the LOC. You'll then have two RCAs coming out of that, which is what you use for modern amps. Run those RCAs to your new amp and you'll be fine.

2. New head unit. All modern aftermarket head units have pre-outs for amps, so you can run your RCAs straight from the head unit to your amp. Buying a new head unit will also give you better overall sound quality since the stock head units are not impressive.

I used method #1. But soon I'm going to change to #2 because I'm getting a new head unit and therefore I will no longer use my line-out converter. #1 is far cheaper but #2 will yield better results for your overall listening experience.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can go two different routes:

1. Buy a Line-Out converter. First you remove your stock sub in the center console. You then take the four wires that originally went into that sub and solder them to the LOC. You'll then have two RCAs coming out of that, which is what you use for modern amps. Run those RCAs to your new amp and you'll be fine.

2. New head unit. All modern aftermarket head units have pre-outs for amps, so you can run your RCAs straight from the head unit to your amp. Buying a new head unit will also give you better overall sound quality since the stock head units are not impressive.

I used method #1. But soon I'm going to change to #2 because I'm getting a new head unit and therefore I will no longer use my line-out converter. #1 is far cheaper but #2 will yield better results for your overall listening experience.

whats a good line-out converter? I'm in the market of wanting to get one to "upgrade" my bass :)

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you may already know, GM went with a different head unit, and amp configuration for the 2007 Tahoe. Up to 2006 the head unit connects to the amp via the GMLAN, and the amp does all the audio controls including the door chime as someone else noted. For '07 the head unit handles the audio adjustments. The amp just amplifies the line level signal from the head unit. One thing is common though, and that's a line level signal out of the amp to the sub. If you want to leave the Bose system intact with the exception of the sub, the simple way to do it is to cut the harness from the amp to the sub, and patch in an audio cable rerouting to a separate amp that will power your external sub. All of your equalization work has already been done for you via the amp's DSP.

Last edited: