lowering my 03 hoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03HoeFoSho

Reaction score
i want to lower my 03 hoe with about a 2/3 drop but not sure what all i need? there is just way to much gap after i put my 24's on with the low pros. it makes my wheels look small. can i just buy rear springs and crank down the front without buying anything? will it mess up the 4wd? and whats with the 3/4 ton key swap that i see you guys talking about. thanks in advance for any info you guys can give me!!!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
You can back out the torsion bolts to lower it some, but it will only go so much. The 3/4 ton keys are indexed differently, so you can go lower. For the rear springs, you can buy a rear kit with shorter springs and shock extension brakets to retain your factory shocks, or shorter springs and shorter aftermarket shocks.

chrias

Reaction score
Don't use 4wd on tight turns or the cv shaft will bind and possibly break. I have broken 2 already. Then again I have 4" drop in front.

kingkon

Reaction score
You can back out the torsion bolts to lower it some, but it will only go so much. The 3/4 ton keys are indexed differently, so you can go lower. For the rear springs, you can buy a rear kit with shorter springs and shock extension brakets to retain your factory shocks, or shorter springs and shorter aftermarket shocks.
bad advice...
do it the correct way and buy control arms or drop spindles I ha a set of 2" mcgraughy drop spindles if you are interested ( brand new ) pm me if interested. 2/3 is definetly the way to go to get a little lower stance and keep the quality ride.

chrias

Reaction score
How is that bad advice? My truck still rode nice with the factory keys cranked all the way down. If he doesn't want to go more than 1 1/2 inches and doesn't want to spend the money then cranking the keys down is the way to go. There is still a ton of tension left on the torsion bars.

If 1 1/2 is not low enough then he should use spindles.

If he wants to go lower than 3 1/2 inches then he should run spindles and lowering keys. You can get nearly a 6 inch drop with this combination but it rides horrible.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
bad advice...
do it the correct way and buy control arms or drop spindles I ha a set of 2" mcgraughy drop spindles if you are interested ( brand new ) pm me if interested. 2/3 is definetly the way to go to get a little lower stance and keep the quality ride.
Bad if you don't get the camber re-adjusted or if you go too low. If he asked for anything more than 2" then I'd recommend spindles or control arms. But 2" is well within the limits of the stock camber plates. You can get the camber back in spec and still have enough suspension travel before the upper control arms hit the bumpstops, and the ride quality is just as good as stock.

03HoeFoSho

Reaction score
thanks for all your guys info!!! can i acheive my 2" drop in the front with my stock keys or do i have to buy 3/4 ton keys or buy a full kit with keys. i seen an eibach kit, has anyone used this kit yet.

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine was slow coming in, but shows delivering Monday.

Eiback torsion keys and 3" springs in rear :)

will let you know once it is done

chrias

Reaction score
thanks for all your guys info!!! can i acheive my 2" drop in the front with my stock keys or do i have to buy 3/4 ton keys or buy a full kit with keys. i seen an eibach kit, has anyone used this kit yet.

The stock keys will only drop the front 1 1/2". I would do spindles in the front. That way you can drop it down a bit more with the stock keys if you want and still have a nice ride.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm dropped over 3" up front and have no issues with my awd or any half shafts. I used the stock 3/4 ton (purple) keys from my brother's duramax and it aligned no problem but my truck seems to be an exception to the rule in terms of aligning these trucks with this much drop. The front suspension on these trucks are quite terrible but I haven't sacrificed ride quality. You can lower these trucks any way you want, I just chose the cheap route and it works like a champ
IMG00546.jpg

06tahoez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too dropped my ride w/ 3" coils and cranking the stock keys down. I've had not problems at all since doing it.
Loweredwith22s-1.jpg

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They both look pretty mean, i've been looking at stylintrucks to see what kits they offer, but i really dont know a good brand. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 2/3 drop?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone posted an ebay link for a kit with keys, shock extensions, and coils for $240 shipped or something. I have the belltech kit and couldn't be happier.

tahoe23

Reaction score
i have an o4 tahoe with 23s on it and i just bought a ground force lowering kit for it how hard is it to drop the front? i can do the back my self but the instructions say u need a special tool to use the keys that came with the kit.

kandywhips504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a belltech 2/3 drop kit with torsion keys in the front rear coils springs and nitro 2 drop shocks all the way around on 305/35/24s. It came out alot lower than 2/3 drop though. I sacrificed alot of ride quality for the looks, drives well though around turns. I rub on the front and back of the front wheel wells when turning as well as it hits the top of my wheel well when i hit big bumps and i had to remove some of the plastic in the rear wheel wells. I highly recommend getting the whole kit, or if you want to go lower than 2 or 3inch getting the control arms. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2808528
scrapin013.jpg

scrapin006.jpg

lakefrnt08011.jpg

tahoe23

Reaction score
thanks. I know from past experiance that lowering a car u do give up some ride quality but im not worried about that i just dont want to pay a lot to have my truck dropped.