replaced the stock head unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

somekindofhate

Reaction score
With this one
h113819DVD-f_dgp.jpg

It's a nice but the problem i'm having is the transmission lever is in the way when in park. My friend said to just bend it but I don't want to do that if I don't have to.. anyone know anyone with a flipout and resolution to this problem? Thanks a lot guys!

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I don't think there is a solution unfortunately. I could be wrong, it's been a while since I've perused the audio market...but my father in law has had flip-out DVD players in all of his GMT800 vehicles (a tahoe and two suburbans), and they all have experienced that problem. It's a bit of a PITA, but you just have to fanagle the shift lever out of the way when the screen opens and closes unless you find or fabricate a shorter lever somehow. I don't know if thats possible without messing something up though. Good luck, let me know if you find a solution, as I'm sure my FIL would like to hear about it.

somekindofhate

Reaction score
No, you can retain onstar with a special harness but it will cost you.

clay2022

Reaction score
yes its true there is no solution, just set ur player to manual and open it once your in drive.

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I did. It is set from the factory to open automatically, same problem it would hit on the way up. So I put it in the manual mode and just open it when I start driving. Or like they said, just leave it open.

somekindofhate

Reaction score
Ok next question I can't get the VIDEO to play for the life of me. It's an NTSC ddvd. All I get is sound, I don't get any warning message or anythhing either!

clay2022

Reaction score
if im thinking correctly some units are set to only play when the car is in park, there is a wire cant remember what its called but you will have to tap that wire into the ground wire to over ride the safety feature that will allow you to play dvd while the car is in motion.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok next question I can't get the VIDEO to play for the life of me. It's an NTSC ddvd. All I get is sound, I don't get any warning message or anythhing either!

you can actually get to the programming setup and change the sensor for the parking brake to be on to play a movie.

Captain Sav-a-Hoe

Reaction score
I have the exact same head unit and it only hits the lever when the unit is coming out and the truck is in reverse in park or drive it's fine and you can set the unit to manual open and close that way you can open or close it when you choose to

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine would do the same thing, for the video. I bought it from CarToys in Portland, they actually made me sign a waiver saying that if I was caught playing a movie while driving that they told me it was illegal ($800 fine).

Anyways I tried to hook it up legally so that the parking brake HAD to be on but it wouldn't work that way. So I clipped the wire and found the override code on-line.

Just google your model code and you should find an override code somewhere.

01 suburban ls

Reaction score
I had this unit in my 01 Suburban, but upgraded to the dual din version. The single din is now in my Saturn. When it was in the Suburban, I remove the shift laver, put it in my vise and slightly bent it. You dont need to bend it much. And the screen cleared the handle. You cant even tell I did anything to it.