Ride after a drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake

Reaction score
I was wondering how different the is on the hoes when they are dropped? i think mine would look better with a mild drop but if its going to mess up my suspension and ride like crap then im not going to do it.. Thanks for all input

oh this is the first thread in the new section haha

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had concerns on how my 99 ykuon would handle after lowering it.

If you get a decent kit, and also new shocks, and make sure you have no rubbing when there is a lot of chassis roll, you should be ok.

My ride DID change a little bit, but I got used to it in short order. Bumps were a bit bumpier/ ride was a little stiffer, but overall, the change was unremarkable.

I think someone that has REALLY dropped the truck 4-6" could reply with their opinion. I did the belltech 3/2 and 4 nitro drop shocks, and I was pleased.
Hope that helps a little.

And way to be the first poster in the new thread.

Pete

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a 2/3 McGaughy's kit on my truck and it rides fine to me. The rear stiffened up, but it's not harsh. The front seems like it's actually softer, but not bad. Overall, the vehicle doesn't seem to float over bumps as much, which I like.

stockergt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alot of things determine how your hoe will ride. I did the Belltech 2/3 drop on my denali (which has the air ride), it wasn't the drop that changed the ride but the 22's. I am actually about to put the stock wheels back on for a week and I am curious to see the difference.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need to do a few extra things if you want to get your ride back such as trimming the front bumpstops and installing shorter shocks (if you don't have autoride). I dropped the front of my denali just over 3" and I lost quite a bit of shock travel, since I have the autoride I have to go to extended measures to install shorter shocks but the ride is fine as long as I don't rally over huge dips (I have approx 2" of shock uptravel with the stock front shocks). I would recommend doing this for the rear if you plan to keep the truck awhile. Mine rides great for the 4" of rear drop but this will free up some travel and rides like butter
SideVeiw.gif

http://www.djmsuspension.com/Articles/FreeTravel.htm
I'd also install some larger sway bars, my truck handles much better but I'm not taking full advantage of the lowered stance with the mushy stock sways.

Jake

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input...so what am i looking at here as far as cost goes?

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my kit for 280 or something. But I know they sell the 2/3 basic kit (keys, coils, shock extenders) for around $300. The 2/3 deluxe kit (spindles, coils, extenders) usually runs about $400 i think.

06tahoez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really depends on what method you choose to lower it. Kits can range from a few hundred to a full air ride suspension up to 5K.

I opted for the low(er) cost alternative. I went with 3" Eibach lowering coils and cranked the stock torsion keys down (will replace stockers w/ 3/4 ton keys soon). I replaced my shocks with Bilsteins and added a set of Eibach sways.. Ride is rougher than it was, but then again I didn't expect anything less. I'm running 22s as well.

Jake

Reaction score
yeah i dont think i got that autoride....unless its the stablitrac..i have 20 but not looking to go bigger for a while...i looked at the site that djm and thier stuff looks like a well put together kit...i just did not realize the cost..once i have the 500 to spend ill ask more info...casue i wanna do it right once and not take any short cuts

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks alot like my belltech kit, coils look a little off and they don't have the autoride links or bumpstops but my kit was around $190 iirc. I say fu*k it and just buy it, the keys are all the same I sold my nice powdercoated belltechs that came in the kit for $100 and used the stock 3/4ton keys out of my brother's dmax. Get some rancho rs9000xls or bilsteins and it should ride nice.

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really care how it rides...cuz it looks dope as f**k

Jake

Reaction score
haha figured that coming from you but the ride is so nice that i dont wanna give that up but im sure i will

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My P's came to visit last week and my mom said my truck rides better than her maxima. You don't have to sacrifice ride quality unless you buy some really buster parts or really mess something up, these torsion bar trucks ride pretty decent lifted or dropped as long as you have some good shocks. When the hell you gonna drop your truck trend? I swear I'll be done with college by the time you get the bums out of your wheelwells, do work son!