Removing rear gold Bowtie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post up to maybe help anyone who is wanting to remove the gold bowtie on the rear gate (to have the chrome bowtie underneath). I decided to remove mine last night. At first, I tried the fishing line method (pry up the corner of the gold bowtie and get the fishing line behind it, using a sawing motion to cut through the glue/tape holding it on). But I broke the fishing line three times when I would get to the "square" part of the bowtie in the middle. So, after a few choice words, I decided to try something different.

I got the hairdryer and heated it up again. I then took my Vons Club Card (basically a credit card with no numbers etched in it that would scratch)...slipped it behind and pushed it through. It went rather easily...applied a bit more heat and next thing I know, the bowtie is falling off in my hands. Got the thing off in one piece (which I had read was difficult to do?), so just thought I'd share the trick with you guys to make it easier? I have pics of the gold bowtie after I took it off, but don't know how to post them here...if anyone wants to see it, let me know and I can email them to ya? I know some guys wanted to get their hands on an unbroken one? I was thinking maybe I should keep it to reapply when I turn in the truck (3 yr lease)?

Fishing line took the Flex Fuel E85 badge off with no effort at all...that was easy. Rear end looks way better without the E85 badge and with the chrome bowtie instead of the gold! Now for the front grille and an exhaust system... :thumbsup:

OSU_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful using the heat gun. The chrome bowtie behind the gold one is also plastic and can be deformed or made wavy if you get it too warm. A heat gun works great on the E85 and other emblems on the paint, come right off and softens the glue you need to remove.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just used a hairdryer, on medium heat...worked fine. Chrome looks great now, glad I did it.

Andy4639

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's one thing I looked at when I bought my Tahoe. No stickers on it, not even a dealer LOGO. I had them take the front tag off before I left the lot.
Mine is E-85 but it didn't have the tailgate sticker on it thank GOD. That is about the ugliest badge I have seen in awhile on a new car.