please help, fuel issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesssharp

Reaction score
Ok so I will start by letting you know that we replaced our fuel pump about 2+ months ago and the shop said we needed a fuel line repair kit as well and so we had them do that too.... well the other morning (2 days ago) I went to start the truck after it had been parked over night and it was perfectly fine that night and I only drove it like 3 miles tops home from work with no incidents... well it wouldnt start, I got out and noticed that there was wet stuff all over the ground, it would crank over but wasn't catching... well the fluid on the ground was gas.... turns out there is some kind of seal that goes from the fuel line to the tank/pump and it is held in place by a little clip with a little spring system... and this part broke so the seal is not in place and so when you crank the truck it spits gas all over the ground and the engine doesn't get any... well yesterday GM said that we could order the part and seemed to know what we were talking about but then today apparently this part doesn't exist and in GM's system there is supposed to be a completely different fuel system period... which doesnt make any sense because everything is stock factory parts, or replacements from the dealer.... so now we need some part that if you get under the truck and look at it you can see but according to the rest of the world it doesn't exist,, anybody have any clue how to get around it or where I may be able to find a part like this? or even a name.. I am so frustrated with this whole thing! shouldn't GM know what parts their vehicles come with ! Thanks for any help I need it

diehrd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can sense you are upset ! I think I would be 2..

Take a picture of it so we can all see it and also so the dealer parts guy can see it , What you may find possible is a part upgrade from the build of your truck to today and that is why the part does not show or is not available.

Even if that is the case , I would hope a dealer parts guy would be able to see that when he searched out what you need.. And order the upgraded part

jesssharp

Reaction score
pictures... great idea through the haze of frustration I guess reasoning and creativity don't quite leak through... I wish the people here at GM could just get their crud together though... looks like I will be crawling under the truck tonight.. usually I would let my husband do it but he will be working.. anyone know if stong gas smells are bad when you are preggo? hmm well thanks for some advice

damassa

Reaction score
i know what part you are missing and might have been broke when you took the old fuel pump off ...

question? did you do the fuel pump yourself?

i am new here just found this forum tonight but me and my boys just changed the fuel pump in my tahoe a nightmare but we accomplished the task in 3 hours including a tank flush and reassebly. there was a spring like four sided lock that keeps the fuel pump line locked into the delivery line. my oldest son took the pump off so i was unaware of this untill we put it back on and he had broke the pump lines off the old one to get it out. i had assumed that they would be the old style slip clip that a screwdriver would do the job well it wasnt easy and i am sorry that i hadnt read this forum last night i would have taken pictures for you.

by the looks of the spring type clip you need to buy a new delivery line from the tank to the rail both if you broke both off

hope this helps you out

jesssharp

Reaction score
Found the part :)

ok so yes we originally were going to do the pump ourselves and got as far as getting the tank back up into the chassis but there was still like 15 gallons of gas and it was on a hill and our jacks weren't that great and it was just my husband and I SO we couldn't get it and had it towed 000to a shop where they broke the part putting the tank back up into the truck and then got the part and replaced it..... and when they put that part (called a quick connect from carquest only a $13 part) back in they installed it incorrectly and little by little driving with it it kept wiggliing itself off basically... so then I woke up and it didn't work anymore... we ended up having to go into the shop where we had it done and basically demand our records... they told us when we picked up the truck that there was a leak in the fuel line and they got the part from the dealer to fix it... all was a bunch of bull... and the guy that did it apparently didn't "like" part numbers but told us where he had got it (which happen to be accross the street and a block from my work) and so my dad went in there and said I need this part this is what it does I know you have it basically! and they helped him and sold it to him even though they only sell wholesale. So happy news the part really does exist and GMC people are just idiots who don't know their own trucks, and shops are stupid too... but it is being reinstalled right now, and will hopefully prove to be a quick fix! Thanks for everybodys help...

damassa

Reaction score
figgured as much glad to hear that your all fixed up keep on hoe'n